Is my car missing the 12v interior circuit?

JohnKit

Is my car missing the 12v interior circuit?

Postby JohnKit » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:36 pm

Last year I bought a 2006 Aveo LS from a car rental place (Enterprise). Yeah, that was probably a bad idea but it was cheap and I needed a car fast. The Aveo looked like a nice ride. So far it's been pretty good except for one thing. The 12 volt power ports (one for the lighter and one next to the hand brake) don't work. I check them with a meter and there is nothing. I had a look at the fuse block under the hood and from what I can tell the space that should hold the fuse is empty. Empty like no wires, not even the fuse socket. I suspect that Enterprise saved some money by not having a 12 volt system factory installed. Sounds insane to me so I'm asking have I missed something? Is there another place that I should be looking for electrical connectors? I'd like to plug a GPS in and I'd hate to have to drill the firewall and lay the wire myself, but I will if that's what it takes.
Thanks!
-John

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: Is my car missing the 12v interior circuit?

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:37 pm

i am not sure where the the wiring for that system runs. but i would try to remove the center console and see where the plug is.. that might be your best bet. i am guessing it is either under one of the seats or in front of the shifter. that might be unplugged.

i have the newer aveo with the fuse panel in the dash, so i cant help you too much about fuse locations. but i would imagine if you have a diagram, then it is correct.

if you do run it yourself it would be a bonus, because neither of the sockets is on constant power. so if i am charging my phone or something i cant charge it when the car is not running.

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:15 pm

this is very wierd, there must be a fuse somewhere, i blow my fuses all the time, hell one of my 12v outlets dont work right now because the fuse is out, i need to replace it, also the car needs to be turned on before the 12v outlets will put out any power, which kind of confused me
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:51 am

Yes, the factory 12V power outlets run off ACC power not constant unfortunently. This is an easy fix if you really want to spend the time to re-wire them. Me personally I hate plugging things into power outlets long term...I'd much rather hard-wire it to a switch. Cleaner and more functional that way.
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

subachad

Postby subachad » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:38 pm

Does your radio work? I think it's fused to your radio. Check the fuse block inside the car, not the one under the hood.

Here is a link to a write up I did on converting the plug by the handbrake to be "always on".

http://www.uniquemotorsports.com/2009/0 ... july-2009/

Chad
www.uniquemotorsports.com

Manorness7

Postby Manorness7 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:13 pm

Just do what I did, install your own constantly live 12 volt sockets. I didnt drill any holes either, just ran a heavy guage positive line through one of the rubber boots into the wheel well behind the plastic guard. I put a 25 amp fuse on the line too just incase. Then anytime you need to add anything you just add it to that line, and ground anywhere inside your car on the frame. Run a nice guage line once and your worries are gone. As for the acc plugs I would just map them out if your concerned, keep troubleshooting with your multimeter is the real only advice I can give you. That's what I would do.

JohnKit

Postby JohnKit » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:21 pm

Ok, problem solved. I didn't notice (d'oh!) the fuse panel in the corner of the drivers side dash by the door hinge. I replaced the 15A fuse and all systems are GO!

Pontiac1976

Postby Pontiac1976 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Lol that true to most peolpe do not know that all most all car / trucksof today have two fuse boxes one in the engine bay and one in the dash. good to hear you solved it :oops:

ImagePONTIAC1976

PONTIAC
The Mark of a Great Car

PONTIAC
The Mark of a Great Car

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3101276

Return to “Interior”