centre consol

marmite369

centre consol

Postby marmite369 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:07 pm

whats the easiest way to be taking it out as i am wanting to run some cables through the centre of the car so that i have my power cable running down the passanger side and then 1 set of phono leads down the drivers side, then the amp i have has high level imputs for clearer sound and more powerful imput so im intending to run a set of cat6 cables through the centre consol, so basicaly does anyone know how to get it out so i ca make a decent job of it and not wrap it around the gear leaver and handbreak cheers

04AveoLS5204

Re: centre consol

Postby 04AveoLS5204 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:18 am

What year is you car? I have an 04, so I can tell you how to do it as I have taken it off before as well.

1. On both sides of the console, remove the screw that is showing. This will release the console as well as the little flaps on the sides covering the gap under the dash.

2. Look in the rearmost cup holder (behind the parking brake lever) and lift up a little cover. There is a screw there...remove it. Pull the parking brake up.

Now, from here you can lift it up in the rear and have some free play to move around and get wires down. If you are looking to completely take it out, read on...

3. Here is where it gets tricky. What you will want to do is lift up on the edges of the parking brake boot, and just pull that up to clear up the space. While your at it, pull the parking brake up as much as you can. You will need to lift the rear until the hole where the parking brake hits the lever itself.

4. Disconnect the connector for the 12V plug on the center console. Now, this is why I said to lift the parking brake as much as possible. You will need to use a little force and inginuity to remove the console, basically slightly bending it in the middle to get it to clear the parking brake lever. Once it is off, just pull it up at an angle and it will come out of the car.

5. You will now see the shifter base, and the parking brake base. If you have the keyless entry/alarm system, the box for it will be right inbetween them.

Now you can run the cables as much as you want. As I mentioned, the only tricky part is trying to get it to clear the parking brake. When putting it back, just reverse the steps I mentioned. Good luck!

p.s. I am planning on removing the carpet in my car again, so if I do, I will take pictures and show the removal and post it as a how-to. Weekend project...HERE I COME!!!

Pete (04AveoLS5204)
-------------------------
My Cars:
04 Chevrolet Aveo LS
1.6L L4, Automatic
99 Dodge Intrepid
2.7L V6, Automatic

Return to “Interior”