Releasing the key?

04AveoLS5204

Releasing the key?

Postby 04AveoLS5204 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:41 am

Hello all, new here and couldnt find any info.

With the Chevrolet Aveos, you know that when you have it in park and your not stepping on the brake pedal, it will do a click when you move it. If you didnt know, try it...

Before, the car would allow me to go ahead and turn the key all the way to LOCK when I shifted to Park. Here recently, and it doesnt do it all the time, it will allow me to turn the key to ACC, and I have to wiggle the shifter knob to get a solenoid or relay to click and release the key to LOCK.

I have been reading that there was a TSB for the car from Chevrolet (GM) covering the replacement of the BTSI (Brake-Transmission Safety Interlock) or something like that. Says that some people might have issues trying to get the car OUT OF PARK...I wonder if that is related to my issue?

Anyways, has anyone here experienced the same? If so, what did you do and results?

My car is a 2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS with the Automatic Transmisson. Power Everything for the car (Locks, Windows, Mirror). Thanks in advance!!!

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: Releasing the key?

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:04 am

Sounds like a neutral safety switch problem. either alignment of the switch, or the switch itself.

basically the switch only lets you start the car in park and neutral.. but that tend to also mean you can only shut it off in park or neutral on some models. If the switch slide it might work somewhere else in the shift pattern, meaning you could "start" the car in gear.. it wont the starter will be turning the whole drivetrain..

if not that then it is related to how the switch interacts with the ignition switch, if there is a tsb on it. i would go with that, sounds like a safety recall, so even if your warranty is up, it should still be free.

Pontiac1976

Postby Pontiac1976 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:09 pm

As said or your shifter linkage is out of adjustment from trying to put the shifter in gear when the key is not in the on setting or not pressing the brake pedal down before trying to shift from park.

This happens to the older Autos rear wheel drives it's an easy fix on them. There was lock bolt in the linkage that would slip if you did as said above. put the car or truck in park block the wheels put the key to the no setting go under car or truck loosen off the bolt shift the auto shifter to park in then to low then back to park tighten the bolt . then go through the gears to make sure it hit each one put back it park try to start car or truck then re try in N if it works put back in park take the key out . If any of the shifts is not set right you will need to loosen off the bolt move a hair up or down depending on what way you need it to go and the key should come out in park and should only start in P or N only. Allot of the new car or trucks you need to steep on the break to shift it from park.
ImagePONTIAC1976

PONTIAC
The Mark of a Great Car

PONTIAC
The Mark of a Great Car

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3101276

04AveoLS5204

Postby 04AveoLS5204 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:39 am

Thank you for the replies.

How would I go about checking the alignment of that switch? Do I need to find the clicking sound under the dash or do I need to take off the center console?

As I stated in my post, I can hear a "click" noise from under the dash when it happens. I took a closer look at it and I see now, once again with the foot OFF the brake and car in PARK, I can only turn the key to LOCK when I move the shifter slightly to the right, still in PARK. The click will be heard, but the key can be removed. If moved back to the resting place (the leftmost position), it will keep the key in the ignition, as if it were still in a gear, although the transmission and the lever are both in PARK. Car starts fine, and has no problem shifting.

(To avoid confusion, let me simplify it.......If you have an 04-06 Aveo (the original, before the redesign), you will notice that on the PARK position it has a notch about 1 inch long, and you move it to the right and down to shift from park. Same goes when you are going to park, move it up and the shifter moves to the left in the notch. If need be, I will get a picture and post it to aid in the description.)

Regarding the TSB...My car is a 2004 model with about 109K mi, so it is FAR out of warranty. Would that be something that Chevy should cover due to it being a TSB?
Pete (04AveoLS5204)
-------------------------
My Cars:
04 Chevrolet Aveo LS
1.6L L4, Automatic
99 Dodge Intrepid
2.7L V6, Automatic

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:23 am

i cant say if it is free or not, it depends on how the government reacted as a safety thing. I would think the government wouldnt want you to be able to start the car in gear because of the switch. But from your description, your right probably not.

If you can fix the issue by moving your shifter around then you need to look in the shifter for the problem. so center console first.

though the click you hear could be on the steering column as the actuator freeing up the lock cylinder, it could be sticking and need put in park the second time to have the extra push it needs.

but i am goung to be the gate for park is not lined up with the switch anymore. if you have room to continue to move the shifter left frm its resting place, it is not resting far enough over. you need either adjust the switch to the right so it is actuated in the resting place. or adjust the shifter so it rests with the switch actuated. that is going to be an adjustment by design.

04AveoLS5204

Postby 04AveoLS5204 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:07 am

Cool. I will try that and report back here on my findings. Thanks guys!
Pete (04AveoLS5204)
My Cars:
04 Chevrolet Aveo LS
1.6L L4, Automatic
99 Dodge Intrepid
2.7L V6, Automatic

04AveoLS5204

Postby 04AveoLS5204 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:21 am

I completely forgot about the site....sorry.

I found out that the issue was extending to the car not letting the transmission shift from Park even with the brake applied, due to the switch not being activated. IT was a small $10 switch that easily unplugs and removes from the car under the dash on the brake pedal. Replaced it and now no issues what so ever.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Pete

Pete (04AveoLS5204)
My Cars:
04 Chevrolet Aveo LS
1.6L L4, Automatic
99 Dodge Intrepid
2.7L V6, Automatic

Return to “Interior”