Ultra Racing Install

Post you HOW-TO and DIY threads here.
LarsBud

Ultra Racing Install

Postby LarsBud » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:30 pm

Well it’s done, my Ultra Racing front strut bar and the rear anti-role bar are in.
I have put this step-by-step install together so you can see you can do it at home.
ImageImage

Starting of with the Strut bar install.
1. Take your time and don’t rush, lie out your parts and plan to take one to two hours. There will be times where a second set of hands will come in very handy, so plan.
2. Place the strut bar over the locating holes that are already in your strut housing. You will see that they mate up nicely.
3. On the driver side you will see that a plastic bracket is not letting the strut bar seat flush with the housing. You will need to make the bracket, I used a grease pencil where I needed to grind away.
4. Unbolt the bracket and carefully grind away the area you marked. Place the bracket back in place, but do not tighten down. Test fit the strut bar to see if it seats flush. If everything fits then bolt the bracket down tightly.
5. Ok this is where you are going to need a second set of hands and it helps if they’re small.
6. Take a supplied bolt and washer and reach up your wheel-well. By just using feel slide the bolt through the mounting hole in your strut tower. The second person will place the Strut bar over the bolt you are holding in place and carefully place a nut over the bolt. This is where small fingers will help, it’s a tight fit where the nut goes.
7. Hand tighten only, repeat step #6 for other side.
8. Tighten down the nuts and wipe clean, job is done.

Rear Anti-role Bar.
1. Take your time and don’t rush, lie out your parts and plan to take two to three hours. You are going to need a spring compressor, jack-stands and a jack for this job.
2. Jack up the rear of the car and place one jack-stand on either side of the body, us the factory recommended positions. Give your self a comfortable working height.
3. Pull off both rear wheels.
4. Using a spring compressor, compress the rear spring on one side.
5. Remove the bolt that holds the rear shock in place, this will allow the rear end to drop. Gently remove the spring and rubber mounts.
ImageImage
6. Place in the mounting ring and bolts that are supplied.
ImageImageImage
7. Take the Anti-role bar and tie it to the underside of the rail. This will help support the Bar and make it easier to mount.
ImageImage
8. Hand tighten the bar to the mounting bolts, this will align the mounting bracket.
9. Tighten down the free third bolt on the mounting ring to hold it in place and then remove the bar again. (it will be in the way when mounting the spring back in.
10. Replace the rear spring and reattach the shock first, before decompressing the spring.
11. Now swing over to the other side and repeat steps 4 through 10.
12. Attach the Anti-role bar to the mounting bolts on either side, hand tighten only. If everything mates up (which it should), go a head and tighten.
ImageImage
So that’s pretty well it for the install. I hope this will help you out.

WOLFMAN AK907

Re: Ultra Racing Install

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:54 pm

Looks nice, hows the performance advantage?
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:05 pm

i almost hate to say it, but i am not impressed now.

only having one mounting point on each side of the front bar allows for a weak link. a pivot if you will. which is not a solid mount..

it needs at least two bolts per side to keep that from tearing open the hole.

the rear bar, how much higher is the car going to sit with that spacer in there?
those hole are also all slotted, and do the bar mount anywhere else? seems like a lot of room to shift around?

how much improvement have you noticed? now i think i will wait and see the long term impression.

i already have a rear sway that works great. and i guess i still need to make a multipoint front bar.

the lower bars are what i was really interested in.

LarsBud

Postby LarsBud » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:27 am

1. The mounting ring only adds 1/8” to the height, that’s nothing. With everything tightened down there is no movement in the rear.
2. The front strut bar sits quite solidly when tightened down. I can only suspect that do to the design you only need one mounting point. Since this is a sanctioned racing strut bar, I’m sure it was tested quite rigorously.
3. The handling is much better, I feel much safer throwing the car around. The role I use to get has been greatly reduced and it feels tight. So far I’m happy, but it’s only been a few days and I haven’t hit the back roads to give the girl a good run yet. I am planning to do that this weekend.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:56 am

i know they are sanctioned race parts and proven. but race sanctioning goes both ways, it has to be safe, and work (development side) but it has to be fair and follow guidelines ( racing side) so maybe the racing rules say only one mounting point per side, whatever. I have experience with single mounting point failures and also with multiple point bars not being allowed. Maybe it is just because the pictures on their site didnt show well enough.

I will hope it works well for you, but as i said for the price i will make my own 4 point bar. I will still be buying their lower front and rear bar.

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:00 pm

I agree, it does look nice, and I'm sure it helps a little but the whole point of a strut bar is to increase rigidity and reduce roll. With it having the ability to swivel/pivot like that I'd much rather try a different design.
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

paint sniffer

Postby paint sniffer » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:19 pm

Where did you get them, and not to be a smart a** but if you just lift up on the rear beam when the car is on jack stands and take out shock bolts then drop the jack slowly you wont need a spring compressor the springs fall out, changed mine in under 10 minutes

LarsBud

Postby LarsBud » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:35 pm

True, but I'm always trying to do it the safe way when I'm doing it for a post. Don't want anyone getting hurt on my account.

LarsBud

Postby LarsBud » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:36 pm

The parts are from Ultra Racing Canada, you can order right from there sight.
http://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=content ... fety-value

Reddemonx92

Postby Reddemonx92 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:20 pm

quick question but would the strut bar for the 2006-2009 also work for the 2005 aveos?

Return to “HOW-TO / DIY”