rear strut bar

Post you HOW-TO and DIY threads here.
one_man_jam

rear strut bar

Postby one_man_jam » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:25 pm

i finally got all my UR bars outta the box and decided to go ahead and put the rear strut bar in first =)

The rear strut bar is the third one from the top. The rest include the 16mm rear sway bar, front strut bar, and 4 pt. chassis brace.

ok so tools needed for install include 12mm socket or wrench and a razor. i used a regular wrench cuz i couldn't find my socket wrench, but it probably would have made it a lot easier.

anyways i would start by taking out rear seat, just for the extra space to manuever. Then your next step is to peel your liner from your sides back. There is only one spot where it is bolted down to the floor (which would be underneath the seat), but if you start from the there it will help a lot. Just peel it all the way back towards the hatch working it out of the grooves.

you'll soon see this portion right here where your rear seats attach to. loosen the bottom bolt and put it aside.

i put the bar up like this first so i could do the same to the other side.

as soon as both ends are held up go ahead and swing it forward and start tightening down everything.

i don't have a rear seat but i did go ahead and check to see if it would interfere with the rear seats in any way and it doesn't when it is in this position

now that everything is tightened down you will need to make a little slit in the lining to accomodate the bar. from the initial slit that is for the hoop thing for the back seats, you only need to go down about 2 inches and cut into it another 2 inches or so. (i'm sure there are many ways to do this, but this is what i did)

you'll get a little flap that looks like this

i then cut right where that little groove goes down for the top portion of the bar

oh ya on the left side (or right side depending on where your looking from) of the liner is the light, this little guy pops out with a little bit of a push from the opposite end. i took mine out so i could peel the liner back a bit more, i'm sure you can do it with it still in though.

if you take it out, go ahead and put it back in and do the same cuts for the opposite sides and put your liner back together.

tighten down the middle bolts for the strut bar using crescent wrench or whatever big size wrench it needs

and done =)

and just for fun

hope this helps guys :D

Last edited by one_man_jam on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UR Canada goodies installed and available here http://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=catalog/27
ImageImage

trempus

Re: rear strut bar

Postby trempus » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:03 pm

why does it look like there's some sort of connection in the middle of the bar?

2004 aveo
2006 uplander

LarsBud

Postby LarsBud » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:49 pm

Does the rear seat back lock up all right?

one_man_jam

Postby one_man_jam » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:29 pm

LarsBud wrote:Does the rear seat back lock up all right?

yes it does =)
i put my rear seat in and checked it just to be sure

trempus wrote:why does it look like there's some sort of connection in the middle of the bar?

that connection thing is because the rear strut bar is adjustable
UR Canada goodies installed and available here http://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=catalog/27
ImageImage

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:03 am

notice any slight differences with it?
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

one_man_jam

Postby one_man_jam » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:13 pm

well i haven't really had the chance to take the car out through some nice twisty roads yet, but just from regular daily driving it feels a lot more solid through the turns. merging onto the highway and highway driving also feel more sturdy.
ImageImage

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:01 pm

looks good, im glad to see more suspension options now
You can't believe everything you read on the internet, after all that's how World War 1 was started.

one_man_jam

Postby one_man_jam » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:33 pm

Dan wrote:looks good, im glad to see more suspension options now

ya definitely i have been waiting for something like this for quite some time and UR came through when i had some extra money so i jumped on this package =)
ImageImage

xiaogary

Postby xiaogary » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:38 pm

The center part makes the structure weak and seems twistable which defeat the pupose of having a strut bar. If they can make a full piece, it will be better. Also why only one nut at each side, under pressure, its twistable also. Should be two nut to be more stable.

LarsBud

Postby LarsBud » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:24 pm

xiaogary wrote:The center part makes the structure weak and seems twistable which defeat the pupose of having a strut bar. If they can make a full piece, it will be better. Also why only one nut at each side, under pressure, its twistable also. Should be two nut to be more stable.

The strut bar is all one piece, nothing can move. These are racing grade parts (not just street parts), so I think they will hold up to the street.

Return to “HOW-TO / DIY”