rear strut bar

Post you HOW-TO and DIY threads here.
Petrified.Rabbit

Re: rear strut bar

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:09 pm

the center piece is to set preload. if the threaded rod is long enough to go into each side far enough, then the integrity is there.

it also helps with install. as far as twisting, by design it really cannot happen as the rear towers do not experience twisting the same as the front. most of the twisting force is developed by the torque of the wheel acting on the strut. other twisting is formed from the turning of the wheels and independent suspension.. neither of which occur on a solid rear axle design in excess.

one_man_jam

Postby one_man_jam » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:the center piece is to set preload. if the threaded rod is long enough to go into each side far enough, then the integrity is there.

the threaded rod goes a good 3 to 4 inches into each side from what i remember. i know it took a long time to get each side off and when i was thinking of the install i knew there was no way i'm going to be able to put one side in then screw in the other side. the fitting is really tight and it took me quite a bit to actually line everything up. the bar is definitely solid in my opinion
UR Canada goodies installed and available here http://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=catalog/27
ImageImage

xiaogary

Postby xiaogary » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:28 pm

Adjustable at the center and it is one piece? I cannot visualise. How is it possible?

What I mean is the side which it secure to car, its only one nut, so when the whole bottom chasis flex due to cornering, The bar only secure with one nut may adjust its position due to the chasis twisting force. If there is two nut or 3 nut, then its confirm fixed. Just like in the picture, The bar can take a few different position by turning the bar after discovering the first position hindle with the rear seats.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:54 am

oh yeah, we've had that conversation a few times about that. but the bars are "race sanctioned" so they have to be built to allowances in the rule book.

LarsBud

Postby LarsBud » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:37 am

xiaogary wrote:Adjustable at the center and it is one piece? I cannot visualise. How is it possible?

What I mean is the side which it secure to car, its only one nut, so when the whole bottom chasis flex due to cornering, The bar only secure with one nut may adjust its position due to the chasis twisting force. If there is two nut or 3 nut, then its confirm fixed. Just like in the picture, The bar can take a few different position by turning the bar after discovering the first position hindle with the rear seats.

Ok your talking about the rear strut bar which is ajustable, this is done so you can get it in place.

tidus10

Postby tidus10 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:13 pm

these wont fit sedan will they :-\

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:23 pm

all but the upper rear cross bar should fit.

trempus

Postby trempus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:48 pm

why would the rear upper one not fit?

2004 aveo
2006 uplander

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:11 pm

well two reasons, the design is different because of the upper luggage shelf, i dont know how really though. And because you have that shelf the bar is sort of built in.. so you might have interference across not just on the ends.

it might fit, but it would need test fit, the other three there is no design difference in those areas of the car.

tidus10

Postby tidus10 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:35 pm

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:well two reasons, the design is different because of the upper luggage shelf, i dont know how really though. And because you have that shelf the bar is sort of built in.. so you might have interference across not just on the ends.

it might fit, but it would need test fit, the other three there is no design difference in those areas of the car.

i wouldnt mind them letting me test fit it and if it dont fit a full refund

Return to “HOW-TO / DIY”