DIY Cruise Control under $25.

Post you HOW-TO and DIY threads here.
Petrified.Rabbit

Re: DIY Cruise Control under $25.

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:06 pm

They wouldn't be loose. They would be termiated at the clockspring plug though.

I will need to look when I get home at the wiring diagram. It might not be a two wire hook up like the early cars but all the wires are there, you just need to jump them to the switch.

Pontiac1976

Postby Pontiac1976 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:27 pm

The clock spring is for the air bag power to pop :shock: the air bag I do not think they would hook up at the same point . Any wires with YELLOW wire or Yellow LOOMS is Air Bag Related

The Factory one there selling is on Ebay for $195. for 2006-2007-2008 .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120562164181&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I would think that it would be close to the same as there kit but they might have changed a few wires since there are a few different options. and the way they went with the wires you need diagram for both set ups to see what wires they changed or if they just changed the slots on the fuse box # where they hooked up. Most time in car/trucks the option and the new design they hook up the option the same but may change the fuse box slots numbers that the wire go to on a few. Most of the main one will stay the same. + It depended on the option for the fuse box you have. I know for sure that that there is at least to under hood fuse boxes if you have fogs and you do not because does not have live feed for the fogs you have to mod the box or get the one for the fogs . Because they did not have the fogs prewired so you could plug and play.
ImagePONTIAC1976

PONTIAC
The Mark of a Great Car

PONTIAC
The Mark of a Great Car

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3101276

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:23 pm

All wires that go to the steering wheel go through the clock spring, airbags, radio controls, horn, and cruise control to name a few, the clockspring is a device to all the wire connections to spin with the steering wheel and while they need replaced when the airbag goes off they are not an airbag only part.

XJCasper

Postby XJCasper » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:45 am

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:All wires that go to the steering wheel go through the clock spring, airbags, radio controls, horn, and cruise control to name a few, the clockspring is a device to all the wire connections to spin with the steering wheel and while they need replaced when the airbag goes off they are not an airbag only part.

So, if the airbag has gone off, the clock spring is no good?

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:12 am

The funny thing about airbags is they "explode" explosions go in l
all directions. So an impact force is sent through the steering column, the clockspring internals can be compromised, not always, but why take chances with liabilty when factories tell you what to replace after the airbags go off? There is also the possiblity of the airbag wires through the clockspring to be overheated, they only need to work once. so that requires replacement too

Pontiac1976

Postby Pontiac1976 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:44 pm

The clock spring almost always burn at the connection if the bag blows. I have not seen any yet that the clock spring are wired to gather they may be around but wired apart or only roughed in the area. The main wire for the clock spring bye itself connects to the back of the air bag some have one most now over sea's have two. Oh the clock spring is only for the driver Wheel helps keep the connection when turning.
Oh and personal I do not like Air bags, mostly the passanger side. I seen lots of them blow up and have blowen then up you do not want one to blow up under 40 k/m in your face. And you want to have the seat belt on to safe your self from the bag. At one time auto could have put in more safty stuff but could not make enought money with the ins. companies and the groverment. They where able to add the safty that we damed but charge it double to the customer and most think there trying to do us extra good. it brings the car price up then it a safty option you pay again for the option. Now they do help but not in all crashes And they will never tell you how meany die or get really hurt by the bags. I seen steel cages bend and brake from air bags I seen a passanger air bag lift a almost 200 lbs guy off the ground 1 1/2 feet. I think after 21 should be your right to wear a seat belt or not. As is your right in most us states to carry a gun .
ImagePONTIAC1976

PONTIAC
The Mark of a Great Car

PONTIAC
The Mark of a Great Car

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3101276

wylee

Postby wylee » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:25 pm

Has anyone completed this on an 09 or 10 yet? I think I'm going to try doing all oem on my 2010. If I can't get the switch working in the original location, I will probably go aftermarket. :roll:

Anyone have the column harness part number? I hope it's available by it self. :|

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:18 pm

from my research and talking with others i believe you only need the $100 clockspring, and the switch...

i can double check on my car tomorrow..

wylee

Postby wylee » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:55 pm

The only wire coming into the back of the clock spring on my 2010 is the horn wire. I will definitely need at least a column harness....I just hope there is a column harness available separately. I followed the horn wire down the column from the clock spring and found the Gray and Brown cruise wires in the other side of the connector the horn wire is connected too. I think if I can buy the harness from that connector to the clock spring, I'll have it made.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:24 am

your clock spring should also have airbag wires?

i will look today, of course money saving changes may have been made for '10 model year..

I have been helping "nschroe2" on the other forums get his working, and we both came across a 4 pin connecter eliminated on the bottom side of the column at the clock spring. But i will double check were they go.

Return to “HOW-TO / DIY”