DIY Cruise Control under $25.

Post you HOW-TO and DIY threads here.
wylee

Re: DIY Cruise Control under $25.

Postby wylee » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:05 am

Yes, there are air bag wires too; they are in a separate yellow loom. I guess I didn't word that very well.

I'm not even sure I can use the LS steering wheel now. The part blowup that the dealer printed off for me shows a screw holding the cruise switch to the steering wheel...my wheel doesn't have a place for that screw to thread in to.

The clock spring has a couple pig tails on it in the part blow up illustrations but I can't tell if they go to the column or air bag side of the clock spring. If the pig tails go to the column side, that takes care of the harness and the only question is if the cruise switch will attach to my steering wheel.

What is nschroe2 looking to do? If he (she?) is just trying to find the two wires to tap into like was shown in post # 1 for the 09+ up, it is the solid gray and solid brown wires at the lower right corner of the driver's knee panel.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:31 pm

have you verified the knee panel wires working in your car with your switch? i think that is what he tried as well, (different from the 06-08) but i think he tried a few combinations..

i think that is what he was trying to figure out, but i have just been been helping guide him through the wires in the column.

my steering wheel has the "cutouts" for the switch as well. if you look on the sides of the steering wheel. I personally was going to mount my switch on the column.. as i didnt want to make the wheel look funny.

the correct clock spring will have all the wires from all the wheel accessories (including radio control if you want to add that) and have leads on both the steering column side and in the wheels. there is only 2 listings of columns i can find, auto or manual.. and there are only two listing of clockspings, wheel accessories, or none. so that should mean that swaping out and plugging in the clockspring will give you the wires you need.

wylee

Postby wylee » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:25 pm

I have not personally verified those wires, but they are correct according to the 2010 GM cruise control circuit wiring schematic the dealer printed off for me. I also found a post from someone on the12volt.com that tapped there for the Rostra setup on an 09.

My steering wheel has knock-outs on both sides that look to be the approximate size of the switches but I don't see anywhere for the mounting screw to go.

gmpartscenter.net lists 4 steering wheels but that site doesn't show part numbers so they may all be the same; they are all the same price. They list:
w/o Cruise, w/o Accessory
w/o Cruise, w/Accessory
w/ Cruise, w/o Accessory
w/ Cruise, w/ Accessory

I guess I should wait get my tamper resistant torx bit set (waiting for it to come from an Ebay seller) to take the air bag off before I order anything.

Are you 100% certain the clock spring has pig tails/leads on the back and not connectors? If that is the case, I may order the switch and clock spring tomorrow. Hopefully I won't find out later that I need a steering wheel too...
Last edited by wylee on Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

wylee

Postby wylee » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:34 am

:evil: The 2010 clock spring (#96815135) and switch (#96943033) are not currently available from GM....unless the parts guy is feeding me a line.

I just ordered the 06 switch from Rock auto for $18 bucks. If I can make that one work, I'll measure the resistances from each button and make my own switch to go in the dash. If I can't get the 06 switch to work at all, I'll have to go with the unsightly overpriced Rostra kit.

chad396a

Postby chad396a » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:37 am

if any one finds the wires some pics n info reguarging it should be added.
09 Aveo 5 LS Hatch

wylee

Postby wylee » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:00 pm

I will have cruise by the end of the weekend one way or another. The Rostra kit came yesterday, and the 06 switch should be here Thursday or Friday. If the 06 switch will work, I'll see what it is actually doing and duplicate it in a shape that will be easier to mount. If the 06 switch does not work, the Rostra kit will go in.

I bought the factory service manual, but most of the cruise diagnostic procedures require the $5000 GM scan tool. <bang head into wall smilie>

wylee

Postby wylee » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:52 pm

I can confirm the 2006 switch works with my 2010 Aveo5 LS. The instrument cluster light doesn't come on though so I must be missing something. On-off, brake cancel, clutch cancel, set, decel, resume, and accell all work as they should.

The brown cruise wire is the switch input. I measured it at 4.9 volts

Here are the switch outputs I measured:
On/Off switch in off position = 0 volts (doesn't matter if the other buttons are pressed or not, no change)
On/Off switch in on position = 1.85 volts
On/Off switch in on position, resume pressed = 2.76 volts
On/Off switch in on position, set pressed = 3.33 volts

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:38 pm

Excellent!

Where did you hook it up?

wylee

Postby wylee » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:20 pm

The brown and gray wires at the bottom right of the drivers knee panel. Follow the black horn wire down the column and it'll lead to the connector were the cruise wires are.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:26 pm

awesome i will try it to verify for the boards,, (so 2 people did it.)

need to buy a switch though.

also did you check to see if the bulb was installed in your cluster for the cruise light?

Return to “HOW-TO / DIY”