Cylinder head rebuild

Post you HOW-TO and DIY threads here.
eramirez

Cylinder head rebuild

Postby eramirez » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:03 pm

Hello All,
I just finished rebuilding my cylinder head two days ago and found that it was fairly easy to do. I rebuilt it because of bent valves. The timing belt didn't break like I hear of other people, but a careless mistake when replacing the original belt on my car. Turns out that in my car, the crankshaft pulley helps to lign up the belt so it doesn't slip off the camshafts, water pump or guide pulley. I installed the new belt and started the car without the crankshaft pulley just to see if everything was installed good and the belt slipped and bent the cylinder head valves. Anyways I got a hold of the service manual for the aveo 2004,2005 and 2006 aveo motor and followed the instructions on disassembly of the cylinder head. The hardest part was removing the valve spring keepers. Anyway, I had 155k miles on it and now it runs like new. If anybody is interested in the service manuals please let me know and I will forward it to you. It includes the electrical wiring, exhaust system, break system and various other material that someone put together.
Repair shop quoted me $2500.00 for the repair and I did it for $800.00. I spent this much beacuase I went ahead and replaced the oxygen sensor, water pump, pcv valve, map sensor and bought new spark plug wires from the dealer just so it could be original OEM parts. Car runs like new again and I feel proud running it again since this car went 155k with no problems what so ever.

Eric

WOLFMAN AK907

Re: Cylinder head rebuild

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:49 pm

Very good to hear Eric. Congrats on "re-lighting the fire" in your Aveo relationship. :lol:
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

Monzaveo

Postby Monzaveo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:05 am

Congrats on the sucessful repair..

If you'd like to forward the manual to me, I'd be interested....its in digital format?

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:39 am

if it is digital, i will take one too..

eramirez

Postby eramirez » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:27 pm

It is digital and in a zipped format. I found that my 2006 aveo has the electronic throtle control similar to the 2007 so the that is the only difference that I noticed from the repair manuals. I bought mine in December of 2006 so the later models were perhaps retrofitted with a 2007 electronic throttle. I did a milage study last june before the rebuild and I was getting 30 miles per gallons. I am now getting 36 miles per gallon with the recent rebuild. The biggest improvement came from replacing the oxygen sensor and map sensor.
The way I went about figuring out miles per gallons was to completely fill up the tank and run it until the gas tank went on empty. The total miles driven in one gas tank divided by 11 which is the supposed capacity of the aveo gas tank. I had a spare 2 gallon gas container so I could fill up again to get me to the nearest gas stations. My car is only used in highway for the 3 hour daily commute from home to work and work to home. Using cruise control and maximum speed limit of 65mph. I highly recommend replacing the map sensor and oxygen sensor when you reach similar milage to mine 150K. I bought the universal oxygen sensor from Kragen which cost me $60.00 compared to the original OEM that came in at $200.00.

Sorry, I side tracked, I will be sending the repair manuals later on today when I get home.

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:53 pm

All Aveo's 06-current operate on a drive by wire system. 04-05 were cable-driven. Some foreign Aveo's though still operate on a cable-driven system though, even in the new ones.
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

Pontiac1976

Postby Pontiac1976 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:50 pm

If it is digital, I Would like one too Please..
So did you do any cleaning of the ports oil drains on the head when you had it off. :?:
ImagePONTIAC1976

PONTIAC
The Mark of a Great Car

PONTIAC
The Mark of a Great Car

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3101276

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:02 pm

he sent it to me, i have read probably 70% of it, its fantastic.

pacmanveo

Postby pacmanveo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:12 pm

ill take one too please
fuckin pacman

eramirez

Postby eramirez » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:19 am

Yeah, I completely cleaned all the oil ports and let the head soak for two days with degreaser. I also had the head resurfaced for $40.00. Cleaned the piston heads and just made everything new again. The hardest part to clean was the intake manifold. I couldn't get all the oil completely out so I did as best I could and have added a filter between the PCV valve and the intake manifold to prevent oil residue from going into the intake manifold.

BTW
If anyone else wants the service manuals please shoot me an e-mail with an e-mail address that I can send it to. The file is huge, 508Mb, so I use a company that allows me to send big files through e-mail. It is called yousendit.com

Return to “HOW-TO / DIY”