Cheap cold air intake for 2006 aveo

Post you HOW-TO and DIY threads here.
eramirez

Cheap cold air intake for 2006 aveo

Postby eramirez » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:04 am

Ok so I am tinkering with my car and I was looking to add a cold air intake but I don't want to spend anymore than $10.00 . So I start by looking to see were the air intake is and I find it hidden under the right wheel mud cover. For some reason it sits there facing the back of the vehicle. So I figure that there is enough space in there to add a large tube and run it to the front. I have an old vacuum tube that I think would work and proceed to install it. Once I was done I check to see if it is sucking air and it is. It is late in the day so I will try it out tomorrow. The basic idea is the same as others , get cold air running through there specially at high speeds. Using the stock filter I don't feel bad that I am taking any original parts out to make this thing work. If water ever gets up that high, then I just need to change the filter. With the length of tubbing that I had to install and the way that it ended up routing, I doubt that I will ever get any water up to the air filter. If you want to see the set up cut and paste the following links to your browser.
I don’t know what this will actually do so I am not making any claims. A friend of mine has a real cold air intake and he said that he doesn’t notice any big except that it seems to accelerate a little faster when he steps on the gas pedal. Feel free to experiment if you’d like. You are not taking anything out so if it doesn’t work you can put everything back as it was.

Eric

WOLFMAN AK907

Re: Cheap cold air intake for 2006 aveo

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:29 am

That's kinda ghetto. :lol: If you don't want to buy a CAI or make a real one, a K&N drop-in filter would be more than sufficient. Luckily you own a 1G, which several companies make intakes for such as AEM, Weapon R, Hurricane and several other no-name brands.
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

eramirez

Postby eramirez » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:31 am

Yeah, I know and I will most likely take it off. It shouldn't be called a cold air intake. It's more like a big vacuum on wheels :-)
I never had a cold air intake before and friends that have them don't seem to agree if they actually work or not. I think that having no intake filter would definately allow you to feel a difference but you run the risk of trouble later.
What is your take on them? do you have one? From the people that say they actually work they say that the car takes off faster. Is this the only benefit?
I am looking to find a way to save gas mostly and not for taking off.

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:45 am

I have a Short-Ram Intake. Here, I posted something from our old board on here about the comparison between SRI and CAI:
http://www.aveonetwork.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36
ImageImageImage

eramirez

Postby eramirez » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:49 pm

I'll take a look at the link that you posted and get me a real cold air intake. I tried my ghetto set up today during my 1.5hr commute to work and didn't see any difference.
thanks for posting the link so I can read up on these CAI.

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:53 pm

There's tons of cheap ones for the 1G Aveo like yours on eBay. There's also some really expensive ones. lol You will definitely notice a difference with a "real" intake. :D
ImageImageImage

Pontiac1976

Postby Pontiac1976 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:30 pm

I have a 2008 with a stock style air box and K&N stock style filter on it. I like the quilter sound, try to be a little bit of a sleeper because I drive a little bit fast so I need to blend in more.

But that a good idea I was going to be doing something like that too.Image
Last edited by Pontiac1976 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImagePONTIAC1976

PONTIAC
The Mark of a Great Car

PONTIAC
The Mark of a Great Car

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3101276

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:33 pm

lmao just dont suck up any water with that :D

buy the cheap ebay with the bypass for under $100, really the only way to get a true CAI
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

Monzaveo

Postby Monzaveo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:40 pm

I dont think a CAI isn't going to make an Aveo accellerate faster from a dead stop. It doesn't add any Torque.

The factory unit is really a CAI if you thinik about it, it draws from cooler outside air.

The thing is, it's designed to be a little restrictive in the higher rpm ranges...so there's where the Custom CAI intakes with there soomth straight tubing shine. You may notice that your engine feel's the same as it always did until @ 4500rpm when it pulls just a little bit harder than before up to 6500k.

So in cases where your really utilizing your full rpm range, such as an emergency accelleration, or some sort of competition...ok street race, there I said it... you could see an advantage over a stock system.

Thats just my 2 cent opinion.

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:54 pm

the aem site showed the dyno of an aveo with the CAI, they gained up to 6.2hp on the curve, most of the time really only up 3-4 and peaking at 5900, it does not make a big difference but it is something i guess. I used to have the old curve on my old computer but its gone now

http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

Return to “HOW-TO / DIY”