Short Shifter Swap

Post you HOW-TO and DIY threads here.
Petrified.Rabbit

Short Shifter Swap

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:05 am

I am not going to go step buy step like open you hood, jack up car etc..

This can be done from above, or you can go below the car to reach the shaft from shifter in the car.
I literally did this in 5 minutes.

Tools needed:

2 flat heads, or a good trim tool (not the press steel kind)
a 12mm & 14mm socket, or box. one of each.

step 1. Locate the shifter arm, it is behind the transmission near the firewall. There is an opening between the intake manifold and master cylinder. (If i already lost you, get help).

step 2. There is a rectangular clip on the top of the arm, with two spring clip on each end.

Lift the spring clips, and then put a screw driver (or trim tool to be on both sides of the rivet head) under the flat part near the middle and lift it out. you may need to unclip one of the plastic ends on the arm above the shift lever for clearance.

step 3. Follow the linkage to the transmission There is a joint where the linkage meets the input shaft. On one side of this joint is a J clip (much like a C clip but easier to take off) i lifted it with my finger and slide it off, if you need a screw driver do that. Then pull the pin out, and separate the joint (it will fall apart).

step 4. This is the only part i did from under the car. Mark the linkage for its position (put tape around the side of the linkage you are taking off). remove the 14mm set nut and the 12mm bolt. Slide the shafts apart.

Picture of it removed and marked (prior to removing):

step 5. Pull out the linkage swing arm.

should look like this:

step 6. have a beer. (pepsi if <21).

under 21:

step 7. on a table or work station (including driveway). unclip the plastic ends off the arm and set it aside.

step 8. remove the two c clips from the pivot ends on the linkage. Once the C clips are off pull the metal brackets, and then pop off the plastic cups.

step 9. slide out the two bushings in the center pivot of the swing arm.

step 10. Done.

Reverse order to install.

trempus

Re: Short Shifter Swap

Postby trempus » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:35 pm

you didn't waste too much time putting that one up

2004 aveo
2006 uplander

Return to “HOW-TO / DIY”