little things. Annoying about the Aveo.

Non-technical discussions relating to the Chevrolet Aveo and sister models (Daewoo Kalos, Daewoo Gentra, Pontiac G3, Pontiac Wave, Suzuki Swift+, Holden Barina and Chevrolet Lova).
Jason2009

little things. Annoying about the Aveo.

Postby Jason2009 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:47 am

Ok I love my Aveo. I get great gas milage, its fun to drive, and I get to save milage on my good cars.

But, I have some little complaints about Chevy's design. I've kinda been thining about it and figured I'd post a list of mine and see if you all agree.

Now I know they are little things so take it that way.

the dome light. I know you can turn the thing off. I like having light when I open the door so I can gather whatever I had and get it out. Unfortunatly there are two problems to with the placement of the light. First is your blinded by this light ever time you open a door. Ok not blinded but its right there in your face. Secondly if you put stuff behind the seat you can't see it even with the light on. So it makes me wonder why chevy placed the light there instead of in the center of the roof.

no way (that I have found) to turn off the dash lights. not really a problem but some times I want them down or off.

I have manual windows. All of the handles are in different positions when the windows are up (and down) Also the front windows roll up one direction and the rears a different direction. That is annoying.

Door locks. Like the windows they turn different directions to unlock/lock.

Like I said little annoying things.

Anyone else notice these things? Or am I just weird.

If you rev it, it will go!

2009 Chevy Aveo LS
2007 Chevy Corvette Z06
2002 GMC Yukon XL
1978 Jeep CJ5 Levi Edition
1965 Pontiac GTO (Tri power 4 spd)

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: little things. Annoying about the Aveo.

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:10 am

The dome light was put there because it is a universal design, an cars with a sunroof need the dome light put forward. If you have a sunroof, the rear seats would have 2" less headroom.

if you have an 09, the dash light dimmer is to the left of steering column, along the brushed (or wood) strip underneath the vent.

wind all the windows up, take the handles of, and reposition them where you want them, you typically want then set past the top on a downward swing, at like 10 or 2 oclock (whichever is heading downward at the time) this is so that with vibrations and such the weight of the handle does not roll down the window. (although newer handles are not heavy enough to do that anymore)

i don't understand the door locks, inside mine go up and down. if you mean with the key? they turn away from the latch to unlock right? so technically they go in the same direction?

at least you didn't pull and aveorob and be like "if i bought a fit this wouldn't happen"

LarsBud

Postby LarsBud » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:50 am

The dome light it pretty cheap looking and works only so, so. I am looking at some other cars and see what might fit in its place. Then use the factory one and place it in the middle of the headliner.

I adjusted all my window handles when I recovered my door panels, they are simply held on with a retainer clip.

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:57 am

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:The dome light was put there because it is a universal design, an cars with a sunroof need the dome light put forward. If you have a sunroof, the rear seats would have 2" less headroom.

if you have an 09, the dash light dimmer is to the left of steering column, along the brushed (or wood) strip underneath the vent.

wind all the windows up, take the handles of, and reposition them where you want them, you typically want then set past the top on a downward swing, at like 10 or 2 oclock (whichever is heading downward at the time) this is so that with vibrations and such the weight of the handle does not roll down the window. (although newer handles are not heavy enough to do that anymore)

i don't understand the door locks, inside mine go up and down. if you mean with the key? they turn away from the latch to unlock right? so technically they go in the same direction?

at least you didn't pull and aveorob and be like "if i bought a fit this wouldn't happen"

lol indeed he would have

i got a bright blue led in the dome, lights up good, the dimmer is there next to the steering wheel, though no way to turn them off completey, the passenger front door locks opposite of the drivers door lol i got used to this, i thought it was wierd but im used to it now :mrgreen:
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

Jason2009

Postby Jason2009 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:59 pm

Like I said guys its little stuff that is a bit annoying...

The window handles is more of a QA thing they should have done at the factory. Although I haven't figured out why the backs roll up in the opposite direction of the fronts. Probably a money saving thing and doesn't really matter to me except when the kids roll down the windows and try to break the handle because the front is different. LOL

The key for the door is what I meant by the door lock. Generaly you turn the key in a direction to unlock (clockwise or counter) and the opposite to lock. Not in a direction of the way the car is...again its a silly little thing I'm sure I'll get used to and doens't matter unless I have a passenger...also they could have put key slots on the back doors so you don't have to reach around....all is fixed if I get the power door lock kit I saw :D

The dimmer switch is obvious. But it won't turn off the dash lights. Like the above no big deal.

As for the light I may decide to move it too. But I was thinking adding a light back there and leaving this one alone. I can turn it off if I want. Just some simple lights on the floor so I can see down there in the dark is all. I've had times I needed a little light to find something rather than fishing for it.

Don't get me wrong I love my car. No major issues at all. In fact other than th things stated, I have had no issues with it. Compaired to other cars its amazing for the price and wouldn't be bad at near twice the price.

As for the FIT comment.....I just can't bring myself to buying forien cars(yes I understand who makes the Aveo but its GM). The worst car I ever owned was a Toyota. What a peice of junk that was. Yet people swear they are great. I've had Ford and Dodges with well over 200k miles and most of them over 250k. I haven't done that with my GM's yet but have friends with then over 300k miles.
Take care of them and they last.
If you rev it, it will go!

2009 Chevy Aveo LS
2007 Chevy Corvette Z06
2002 GMC Yukon XL
1978 Jeep CJ5 Levi Edition
1965 Pontiac GTO (Tri power 4 spd)

AveoRob

Postby AveoRob » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:37 pm

edited
Last edited by AveoRob on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:08 pm

AveoRob wrote:
Petrified.Rabbit wrote:at least you didn't pull and aveorob and be like "if i bought a fit this wouldn't happen"

Are you baiting me?...I never said that

no.. thats just how i am going to remember you from now on..

Reddemonx92

Postby Reddemonx92 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:20 pm

lol wow thats a weird way to remeber somebody :lol:

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:02 pm

i remember hunter as the guy i wish bought a fit because hes spamming the boards :P

:lol:

Reddemonx92

Postby Reddemonx92 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:46 pm

lol i remember hunter as a honda hater cus thats all he talks about

Return to “General Discussion”