Upgrading from 06 to 09

Non-technical discussions relating to the Chevrolet Aveo and sister models (Daewoo Kalos, Daewoo Gentra, Pontiac G3, Pontiac Wave, Suzuki Swift+, Holden Barina and Chevrolet Lova).
g30360

Upgrading from 06 to 09

Postby g30360 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:21 pm

If all goes well I will be upgrading from a grey 06 Aveo5 Base 5 sped to a red 09 Aveo5 LT w everything except ABS and alloy rims. they are giving me 4300 CAD for mine (47000KM, has 2 way command start and power door locks and trunk, upgraded speakers and amplifier cd player ect. nothing to fancy) after the trade in the new one is 9909 CAD before taxes(all fees included). what do you guys think? not a bad deal eh? I have a few questions about the 09's some of you might be able to answer

is it the same transmission? I know its not the same engine and hopefully I still can do my own oil changes easy but I am also hoping its a different transmission because I was not very fond of the 06 trans. If it is the same I for sure wont be as hard on it :P

How about the air filter, hoping it is the same so I can put my drop in K&N filter in there.

I know the tires are the same size so I shouldn't have any problems transferring my winter tires over. By the way I the difference is huge on my 06 aveo. I live in winnipeg and the roads can get very bad, before this winter I never had winter tires and felt like I was always driving on the edge of loosing control even when going slow. Now I can hardly get to that edge even if I try.

Why am I upgrading? well they couldn't figure out what was wrong with my car, I kept getting the P0502 (vehicle speed sensor circuit low voltage or something to that effect)error code but they could not reproduce it. and they tell me it has something to do with the clutch slipping and saying its driver induced/nothing they can do about it because nothing is wrong. They even contacted there tech support and found zero cases of this code being thrown. Its hard for me to believe that I am the only aveo owner who can get it to throw this code. after reseting the code RPM's would usually be limited to 5000 for a while. Oh and my DYI cruise stopped working after 3 years of zero problems. ( I love cruise) and occasionally when pressing in the clutch to coast the RPMs drop real low and on numerous occasions has stalled the engine completely. I am not sure if all of this is related or what. all these problems along with some other ones that were resolved seemed to start after my car was hit last december while I was working.

Sorry for the long post Just wanted to give a little history. Just waiting for the financing to go through. 0% for 36 months what Im going for through GMAC

later

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: Upgrading from 06 to 09

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:35 am

sounds like a good deal to me.

the tranny is the same. although the gearing might be slightly slightly different to match the new engine design, but i doubt it.

i am pretty sure the air filter will fit too, but i cant verify that 100%

sounds like the three are related. did they replace the crank position sensor? that would cause the idling, poor running, and loss of the cruise mod. It would also be plausible to keep the rpms below 5000 (inless our cars have a limp mode, then it would activate that too)

well either way you will like the 09. Dont be too easy on the tranny, even though break in is important is is equally important to break it in the way you are going to drive it. Just change the oil at 500 miles.

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:21 am

Yeah the 09' still has the D16 tranny. I'm not peticularly fond of it. I don't know about you rabbit, but mines is somewhat hard shifting...like I think 3rd is the worst, you really kinda have to puch it to shift gears. It feels like just now after 6500 miles its finally starting to loosen up a bit. I wonder if that has to do with the weight of the gear oil up here in the cold? Who knows? Anyways, you will love the 09'. It's a fantastic car and slowly but surely custom parts are appearing for it...not many but a few.
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:05 am

i guess my short shifter make all the difference?? its bot as smooth as a cable shift, but i dont think it is bad at all. Of course with a 3 1/2" throw from gear to gear..

g30360

Postby g30360 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:21 pm

thanks for the reply's, any thoughts on the price? its still not 100% finalized, apparently my sales guy and the financing guy are both away today so I wont know until tomorrow.

I think the Aveo does have a limp mode. As far as I know they did not replace the crank position sensor,
oh well.

I'm kind of looking at it this way, if I get approved for 0% it was meant to be. If not then I will back out and perhaps look into that sensor. where is the crank position sensor?
I really enjoyed my 06 but these issues that I have been dealing with for 1 year have been very irritating

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:24 pm

the price is not too bad, though I like the 1st gen body style better, would rather have the new aveo engine though
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

g30360

Postby g30360 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:35 pm

I agree, 1st generation body is nicer.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:29 pm

you are both crazy, i would have never bought the aveo is not for the reface. And the new interior is so nice it sold me on the car.

not that there is anything wrong with the old one, but the new one is so much sportier.

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:50 pm

the new interior is way better in everyway, and the engine is a lot better too, but I just like how it looks, idk why lol
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:02 pm

Yeah, I don't think I'd have bought the Aveo if it didn't get the facelift. I love how aggressive it looks now with the split grilles and tear-drop headlight assemblies. The only thing I hate is the taillights, but 1st Gen. taillights will fit with a 1st Gen. bumper cover. The price is ok. 0% would sell me too.

Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”