New here

Non-technical discussions relating to the Chevrolet Aveo and sister models (Daewoo Kalos, Daewoo Gentra, Pontiac G3, Pontiac Wave, Suzuki Swift+, Holden Barina and Chevrolet Lova).
Matt

New here

Postby Matt » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:46 am

I figure since I've been a member for a couple months I should probably finally post something.
I have a 2007 aveo svm, I bought it about a year ago.
I'm a welder and just moved to Baltimore, not sure if there is anyone else on here in my area.
Anyways, it's not a great first post, but it's better than lurking I guess.

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: New here

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:53 pm

buffalo to baltimore.. interesting.

welcome, seen you logged in a lot.

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Welcome to the board, officially. :D
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

Matt

Postby Matt » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:33 pm

Yea, the move kind of sucked. My wife just started her MFA at Towson University.
I'm hoping when this weather finally breaks and I recover financially from moving I can start some work on my car. Right now it's all stock. I have started doing some work on my own manifold though, and hopefully I'll be able to start getting a turbo setup going.
Being a welder definitely helps with the fab work, and I found a shop here already that didn't laugh at me when I talked to them about parts/tuning.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:40 pm

how close to aberdeen maryland are you? NGP used to specialize in bringing parts and cars over from europe. Would be a good source to try to get some parts over here (or 2 door shells since that is being discussed).. they used to bring over shells, rallye golfs, VW polos and mk3 golf wagons.

but check out the diy section, as a welder, i made a step by step guide on doing your own short shifter. I have had other welders on the old forums replicate the process and decide paying me was better deal. But its there and basically free to do plus it makes a huge difference.

Matt

Postby Matt » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:09 pm

I'm about 40 mins from aberdeen, so long as traffic isn't terrible.
I might have to try the short shifter.
My only challenge here is that I don't have a good workspace. For Fab work I can do stuff at work, but for install/fitting I don't have a garage space available. Hopefully I will make some friends that won't mind letting me use their garage. Right now the closest friend I have is about an hour away..

Matt

Postby Matt » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:14 pm

As for NGP are you thinking of them in regards to importing a kalos shell or something similar?
I can probably go there and talk with them at some point soon, I'm off work on comp because I destroyed my big toe so I have all kinds of time to run around..well limp around on crutches.

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:19 pm

Matt wrote:Yea, the move kind of sucked. My wife just started her MFA at Towson University.
I'm hoping when this weather finally breaks and I recover financially from moving I can start some work on my car. Right now it's all stock. I have started doing some work on my own manifold though, and hopefully I'll be able to start getting a turbo setup going.
Being a welder definitely helps with the fab work, and I found a shop here already that didn't laugh at me when I talked to them about parts/tuning.

you are my new best friend :)
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

Matt

Postby Matt » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:31 pm

Hunter -
Because of the manifold/turbo setup?
You might have a hard time finding anyone to tune your car. The shop here that I talked to (JEImport) told me they wouldn't even touch the project if it was an auto. They were also trying to price out a kit for me at $3500 for a log style mani and extra cash for however long it took to tune (their tuning runs $175/hour)

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:41 pm

I don't want youto goto NGp for me, just thought if you were reallyclose andcould use them for your benefit wanted to check them out you could inquire. But 40 minutes is too far to ask.

Return to “General Discussion”