New car

Non-technical discussions relating to the Chevrolet Aveo and sister models (Daewoo Kalos, Daewoo Gentra, Pontiac G3, Pontiac Wave, Suzuki Swift+, Holden Barina and Chevrolet Lova).
Petrified.Rabbit

Re: New car

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:02 am

AveoRob wrote:The reasons I would run are:
First, it is almost impossible to sell let alone trade-in a salvage title car. No one wants it except someone who will completely strip it and make a project, as wolfman said. It is difficult to sell or trade a car that has a carfax report on it, ask anyone. So once you buy it, expect to keep it.

Second, insurance companies aren't in the business of losing money. If the car can be fixed correctly and reasonably priced, they will do it. They don't just total a car for nothing. If it was flooded, I would never want that car. If the frame was bent, I will defer to rabbit, but I would suspect the may get it to "spec", but it will never be perfect. You will never get a good alignment and wear tires etc.

Anyway, I just think it is a bad move to buy a daily driver that was a salvage, but that is my opinion and that is all.

while that is all true, lots of cars are also totalled on parts availability, as it typically takes 6 month for enough parts to be in stock to fix even a light hit. Plus slightly older or "unvaluable" cars can be totalled just for the labor rates, etc..

I personally know body work so i would buy a reconstructed title and look over the car very well to see the repair. This is knowing i would never get my money back if i was to sell it. But i would also check to make sure the airbags are actually there too. Ive learned that.

I have also personally seen cars with good title hit a lot harder than cars with r titles. a lot of insurance companies dont want to lose twice so if they write a $4000 hit on a car, and the engine block etc are trashed, but the body shop already has $3000 in labor and unreturnable parts.. they will just keep paying to fix the car even if it ulitimately goes over the value.

I personally have done $15000 in repairs to a nissan sentra, $20000 in repairs to a vw baseline jetta. etc because of poorly written preliminary estimates. But i Have also seen a brand new car get totalled for a headlight and bumper cover, because both parts were not available ofr 3-4 months, and the company wieghed its options on loosing the customer, paying that long on a rental, and paying to fix the car, totalling it was cheaper. especially when it goes to a salvage yard they own so they can part it out to fix 3-4 other cars that would be totalled..

its all a game, no matter what you buy you should look over the car, EVEN new (trust me on that too..)

AveoRob

Postby AveoRob » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:40 am

edited
Last edited by AveoRob on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denis

Postby Denis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:55 pm

thank u everyone, its good to hear dif trains of though who have way more experience with cars the me
2004 Suzuki Swift+S (Adventure Vehicle/Winter Car)
2008 Mitsubishi Galant (Daily driver/Highway Boat)

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:06 pm

AveoRob, I think all the points you touched on were accurate. If you're looking for something just to drive for a few years thats cheap I don't see a problem with a salvage title car, but even if you can sell it when you're done with it, it will be worth very little. However, if the car was in a flood or fire or if the car had multiple body panels replaced I too would run. You don't want someone elses problem child. Oh, and my old truck aligned right and wore tires just fine, whoever did the work on it did a good job, but you're right...it will never be perfect again.
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

Denis

Postby Denis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:05 pm

ok no salvage titles :lol:

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:46 pm

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ctd/1617023137.html

at a dealer, not r title, power stuff, etc..?

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:50 pm

WOLFMAN AK907 wrote:AveoRob, I think all the points you touched on were accurate. If you're looking for something just to drive for a few years thats cheap I don't see a problem with a salvage title car, but even if you can sell it when you're done with it, it will be worth very little. However, if the car was in a flood or fire or if the car had multiple body panels replaced I too would run. You don't want someone elses problem child. Oh, and my old truck aligned right and wore tires just fine, whoever did the work on it did a good job, but you're right...it will never be perfect again.

like i said, you gotta find out why it has a savage title in the first place, but then again, for the price, it is not bad, and since its what it is, it wont have any resale value come that time anyways
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

Denis

Postby Denis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:14 pm

thehunterooo wrote:
WOLFMAN AK907 wrote:AveoRob, I think all the points you touched on were accurate. If you're looking for something just to drive for a few years thats cheap I don't see a problem with a salvage title car, but even if you can sell it when you're done with it, it will be worth very little. However, if the car was in a flood or fire or if the car had multiple body panels replaced I too would run. You don't want someone elses problem child. Oh, and my old truck aligned right and wore tires just fine, whoever did the work on it did a good job, but you're right...it will never be perfect again.

like i said, you gotta find out why it has a savage title in the first place, but then again, for the price, it is not bad, and since its what it is, it wont have any resale value come that time anyways

i emailed the dealer and still no reply

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:54 pm

where have you been looking anyways? You can use ebay to find cars and dealers too
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:52 pm

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ctd/1618216266.html

Return to “General Discussion”