New G3 with terrible fuel mileage!

Non-technical discussions relating to the Chevrolet Aveo and sister models (Daewoo Kalos, Daewoo Gentra, Pontiac G3, Pontiac Wave, Suzuki Swift+, Holden Barina and Chevrolet Lova).
WOLFMAN AK907

Re: New G3 with terrible fuel mileage!

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:43 am

Idk, in my 09 I was getting about 22-25mpg for about the first 1500 miles. After that it's like the negine woke up a little bit and I really started to get more in the range of 32-36. Wierd car.

Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:46 am

like i said it still needs to break in, give it to 2000 miles or so and it will start doing good, mine took till like 5000 to start running good
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

Monzaveo

Postby Monzaveo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:07 am

The thing is with lreally low gas mileage #'s...and only 1.6 liters....where is the gas going? It has to physically go somewhere...Ie;..
1.leak out
2.evaporate.
3 burn through only 1.6 liters of cylinder capacity.

Leaks are usually obvious.

Evaporation isnt as obvious, but its a slow process, usually not a concern unless your car sits for months at a time

It could all be burning in the cylinder bores...but thats ALOT of fuel for 1.6 litres and it should leave some obvious traces...

Like black smoke out the tailpipe (running rich) stumbling, and check engine lights as the oxygen sensors red flag all the unburnt fuel reaching the cat converter.

I could be wrong. Just trying to be logical.

Another possibility is extended idling, Is your car running alot while its not actually moving?

LarsBud

Postby LarsBud » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:24 am

This was from my summer Road trip:
You loose a lot of power running your A/C, you have to remember it's only a 1.6L. In Europe where this engine came from A/C is not the norm in small cars, it's a luxury item.

Well just came back from me first long road trip with Red Max and was very happy with it all around performance. With the car fully loaded, wife, son and luggage we set out on our 1100km round trip. It consisted of winding country roads, steep hills and flat out highways, a really good test for the car.

1/ So for gas use I averaged 550km a tank (42L) with A/C on half the time.

2/ The comfort of the ride was good for a small car and my ass never fell a sleep.

3/ The winding roads where fun to drive, but I did need to give myself enough time for passing. Need to shift down to fourth or third to pass to have good power.

4/ In the hills the car pulled quite well. I only had to shift down to fourth on long hills or if I was passing.

5/ On the highway, well that’s when the fun started. I had no issues, the car ran at 120km/h with no problems. Had a little fun with a blue Minnie and we played tag for some time down the highway, cruising at 140km/h. the car was smooth with no vibration, there was still more she was willing to give.

6/ After the trip I checked the oil and had used ¾ of a L, but the engine is still going through break in. (before trip car had 1200km)

So after a wash and a clean up I am very happy of this little car. No it’s not a big block eight or a lechery sedan, but a well put together small car that can give any car in its class a run for there money.

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:45 am

yeah you burn a lot of oil when you break in an engine too
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

sidney

Postby sidney » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:29 pm

Hey Y'all

I just called the Pontiac help line and was told to bring the car in to a GM dealer. I was also told that after the break in period the fuel mileage would increase but that 19 mpg is way below what it should be.

I'll letcha know how this goes.I didn't buy the car for its fuel economy but it uses more gasoline than the Lincoln I traded in!

Regards,
Sidney in AL

Jason2009

Postby Jason2009 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:01 pm

19 seems low. I don't drive crazy hard like hunter but I have a 5 spd and I make it do what I want it to. I am averaging 29.8 mpg.

Hopefully they can quickly figure it out and you'll be getting the gas milage you should get.

If you rev it, it will go!

2009 Chevy Aveo LS
2007 Chevy Corvette Z06
2002 GMC Yukon XL
1978 Jeep CJ5 Levi Edition
1965 Pontiac GTO (Tri power 4 spd)

Return to “General Discussion”