kamikaze

This forum is for a continuous build threads of the progression of your car.
Twitch008

Re: kamikaze

Postby Twitch008 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:30 pm

I gotta do this to mine. I want the whole thing to be mostly black and orange.

Does anyone know if it's legal to smoke the headlights in Pennsylvania? Or are we limited to Wolfman's headlight mod?

Should you always wet sand before you paint?

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:59 am

Twitch008 wrote:I gotta do this to mine. I want the whole thing to be mostly black and orange.

Does anyone know if it's legal to smoke the headlights in Pennsylvania? Or are we limited to Wolfman's headlight mod?

Should you always wet sand before you paint?

It is illegal to smoke headlights, or taillights for that matter in any state. In my honest opinion, you should always wet sand before and after you lay VHT and clear. It looks better. Otherwise, you end up with a lense that looks flat black. Which, if you have a flat paint job looks cool, but I like mine glossy and nice looking. I'm too lazy to type the how-to, but I suggested these 2 videos to Sarega a while ago...they're pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSKA0ElKg1Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8-hZP6- ... re=related
Also, I do not take credit for the headlight mod on my headlights as I did not create the process, only applied it to the Aveo like several other of our members. They're actually called "Joey Modded" headlights. I believe it originated as a VW thing back in the day. Here's a how-to I wrote up with pics for "Joey Modded" headlights: http://aveonetwork.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=180
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:43 am

My neighbor has his headlights smoked but he is the son of the fire chief, as far as legal it's mostly about light output and amber or red reflector visability.

But the inspection process is written with lots of room for interpretation so just because you can get stickers doesn't mean you won't get fined..

The smoking also kills the light output, Joey mod is the best way to go.

Twitch008

Postby Twitch008 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:49 pm

I just noticed that the headlight design on my 07 is different from your 09. No side reflector and such. I'm not sure if the inside is the same two piece assembly or not. I'll need to investigate further.

The Joey mod seems safer to me actually. After I posted last night, I thought about it some more. Thought to myself "I need those to see. Why would I want to make them not work as well!?" I saw headlights on ebay a while ago that had black chrome on the inside. Is that something I can do myself? (Maybe using the VHT on the existing chrome?)

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:19 am

If you have an 07, then yes yours is a 2 piece. I honestly would just buy the ebay ones, they're pretty cool.
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

NYChevoo

Postby NYChevoo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:14 am

You all are doing a nice job with the head lights and tail lights. If i wasnt such an old bastard I'd do mine!
He drives like a man on his way home from work!
00 Jeep Grand Cherokee
02 Chevy Suburban Z71
04 Aveo Sedan (Silver)
07 Aveo Hatchback (Active Red)
85 Mercedes 300SD

kamikaze

Postby kamikaze » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:09 pm

I took off the fake side vents last night to paint it black.
I'm planing to totaly blacking out my car.
And hope fuly some day I can repaint my car flat black.

To take out the vents you will neet +head screw driver(Shorter the better), 10mm & 14mm soket.

1. Take off the wipers

2. Take off the rain gard(is that what you call it?) at the bottom of the windshild.

3. un bolt the head light and slide it fowerd. This is so you can get extra space.
Picture 057.jpg

4. unbolt the top, wheel well(is that right?), between the door and under the car.*see pic on next post too*
Picture 058.jpg

Picture 059.jpg

5. Pull on it and you can see the back of the vent. Don't pull to storon or you will bent or brake the fender.

6. Unscrew the 3 bolts and pull the black peace and the crome apart. You wont have space for a reguler screw driver so you need the short/migget(no ofence) one

****This worked for me but could not work for other pepole. Please do this on your own risk. I will not be resposible for any thing. If you do this and brake some thing that means you shouldn't have done it and asked for proffecional help, also it proves that I'm better then you :lol: lol
Last edited by kamikaze on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kamikaze

Postby kamikaze » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Pichers of the bolt you have to take off
Attachments
Picture 064.jpg
Picture 061.jpg
Picture 060.jpg

kamikaze

Postby kamikaze » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:12 pm

Vents out
Picture 062.jpg

The black part is srew and cliped on
Picture 063.jpg

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't you just take out the wheel well plastic and reach up there to unclip if?

It does just clip in correct? So you might even be able to take it off by "prying" the clips from the front?

Good write up on your method though, did you have any trouble religning the fender?

Return to “Members Rides”