Good turbine for the aveo?

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: Good turbine for the aveo?

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:51 pm

that actually looks the same as the flange on the new 1.6 ecotec from 09 and up...

hmm... that and a computer out of one might work...

precisionboost

Postby precisionboost » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:54 pm

I think it's a matter of the older Aveo flange having some extra metal on the side.... I think the pattern looks the same.

I have an 05 Aveo engine kicking around in my storage Quonset at work.... I will look at it tomorrow if I get a chance.

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:55 pm

Would you need a piggy back system with this setup?
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

precisionboost

Postby precisionboost » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:06 pm

The Bosch system they use is very different than what we get.

Standalone is the easiest sometimes.... the newer ODBII systems can be a pain to tune with a piggyback.

Technically.... one could get away with something as simple as an adjustable rising rate fuel pressure regulator and a simple check valve.

You could use a SAFC or some other piggyback to fine tune things..... but odds are your going to eat through gasoline like your driving a V8

With standalone you can tune multiple maps.... our friend's Aveo 2.0L 8V turbo runs a megasquirt standalone... he's managed to tune it to a point where he can get better mileage than the original 1.6L 16V ( think he said he gets an extra 60 miles per tank )

Of course to get this mileage he basically shuts down the turbo and has to load a specific set of maps.... most of the time he's running 18PSI.... so he likes to switch to economy when he's just driving around back and fourth to work.

If you were running low boost ( say 5psi ) you could even get away with not using an intercooler ( although not suggested )

Honestly.... there are so many options.... one must figure out what they expect to do beforehand otherwise you just end up spending way too much time and money changing parts out.

ontarian_frog

Postby ontarian_frog » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:34 pm

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:Image

That's off a Honda 1.6 looks like.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:42 pm

i just posted precisionboost's picture.

the ebay auction link above that post is a VXR manifold?

precisionboost

Postby precisionboost » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:09 am

ontarian_frog wrote:That's off a Honda 1.6 looks like.

Uhhhh...... Which factory turbocharged 1.6L Honda would that be? The imaginary B16AT ?

This isn't my forum.... but I will warn you that I get particularly annoyed when a good technical thread becomes a nine page ramble about hondas... which have nothing to do about this factory turbo charged Corsa VXR exhaust manifold that will fit all Aveo engines ( some with some light modifications for older vehciles )

Just for reference.... I use to post good technical information on the oringal protoboard Aveo site but I was pissed off when the mods ( who did not own that forum ) locked it up and moved all the posts ( including mine ) to the aveoclub.net without anyones permission or approval.

Since that time I decided to completely ignore aveoclub.net............. I will however help you guys out here on aveonetwork because the current mods seem to be decent guys and wolfman is a regular on Daewootech.com

Enough about my ranting...... down to the good stuff....

precisionboost

Postby precisionboost » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:13 am

Ok.... so I pulled off the manifold from a spare engine ( 2004 Aveo ) I have kicking around and I was right.... bolt pattern is a perfect match but the older Aveo manifold has an internal EGR port off to the right hand side.

Here is the picture Image

precisionboost

Postby precisionboost » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:18 am

So.... to make this fit it's just a simple matter of converting the EGR port on the older Aveo engines

For this you would need a steel plate, the Corsa VXR exhaust gasket and some tubing.

Odds are the Z16LER has a port to go to the EGR or it's ported internally within the head somewhere..... either way it's not too hard to make it work with the Aveo.

If for example the port is not on the Z16LER all you need to do is weld on a port onto the downpipe of the turbo and route it back up to the EGR plate I mentioned above.

Alternatively.... you could simply block off the EGR... but that may cause an issue with emissions.

If your going standalone management then that is the easiest way to do it.... but it won't pass emissions testing.

Personally.... I think a EGR relocation plate is the simplest fix....I have to think it would be about $25 to get something made up.

precisionboost

Postby precisionboost » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:23 am

At 350 GBP and an exchange of 1.59 USD = 1 GBP that makes this a very cheap way to turbo a 1.6L Aveo ( cost is about $550 USD )

Given the Corsa VXR is pretty new odds are the turbo is in good shape.... but as with anything buyer beware.

The EBAY ad also says they will post worldwide.... so that means they shouldn't have a problem sending it to USA or Canada

If the UK tuning shops support the Corsa VXR like they did the Astra VXR I wouldn't be surprised to see an aftermarket upgrade manifold for the Z16LER within the next year or two.

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”