Good turbine for the aveo?

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: Good turbine for the aveo?

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:34 pm

exist3nce wrote: but if that is too expensive, a used K04 would do nicely.

I am going to do some work with a company this summer and provided i dont run out of money.. i will have a bolt on turbo kit developed with a chipped ecu. no tricking the computer, not piggyback or added controllers.

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:
exist3nce wrote: but if that is too expensive, a used K04 would do nicely.

I am going to do some work with a company this summer and provided i dont run out of money.. i will have a bolt on turbo kit developed with a chipped ecu. no tricking the computer, not piggyback or added controllers.

i cant wait, im in for one
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:38 pm

i cant make any promises. preliminary inspection has not been done..

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:01 pm

i hear ya, it would be pretty cool though

mikedudley17

Postby mikedudley17 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:29 am

Boosting an NA motor that has been reliable to you is generally not a good idea unless you have a second dependable vehicle on hand. This said, if you want to do a street application or are doing it just to have a turbo aveo, I would honestly not waste my time. If this is for a true race application though, it will def. be fun. And if you really insist on doing this at least make sure you do t right and have many spare parts on hand like, gaskets, crank, bearings, clutch, trans, pistons, rings, I/E mainfolds, and know-how on how to disassemble and reassemble everything without question. If I was you and was serious, I would buy a second motor and set it off to the side, rebuild it if neessary and start your turbo build on that motor. This way you can still drive your car as needed and also still be able to use it to test fit parts and see where you can run pipe, etc. This is only the tip of the iceberg, there is so much to think about when adding a turbo/supercharger system to a vehicle, especially one that is originally an NA motor and was not built/designed for forced induction.

Honestly, with the money you would end up spending to do this, you can buy an already turboed vehicle like an older VW, DSM, Scubie, or whatever you can find. Plus those cars are usually more fun from the get go and have huge followings with tons of people and sources to get information. This is probably the best way to do things and that way, you have a fun car and a reliable car. But, you dont have to listen to me, you can follow your dream/s and do anything you want. Creativity is so much fun!

This is all just my late .02 but I have been in the same boat you are rocking now.
I looked inquisitively at my beer and wondered, why aren't you in my belly?

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:48 am

i plan on buying a second engine, and get a garage soon too

this sesmester will warrent new headlights, tailights, gauges, CF hood, headers, aem cold air intake, new exhuast out to the back with a flowmaster, new tires, new rim, springs, new seatcovers, and a good buff on the paint and possibly remove a dent from my door

Fall 2010 will get me my miata, and another aveo engine if i find a place to store my crap

my ulitmate plans for the aveo include a fully built 1.6 engine and a manual tranny swap, 250hp is not out of reach, while the NA miata will be stock for the most part except for a few minor things, and a cheap Greddy turbokit to get my miata to about 170hp or so

g0ast

Postby g0ast » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:28 am

Hey um I might be late to the conversation but I'd like to share my thoughts...

I went to a turbo shop that only builds custom turbo systems for cars and I went there to see what it would take to get a turbo for my Aveo.

He didn't give me any BS and he talked straight to me like a car-guy, not a salesman.

He told me that it's very doable, but it depends on how much work you want to put into it.

He told me my options:

1: A basic turbo system with very little work done to the engine aside from programming, headers and rewiring and/or repiping. In which case I could expect 5-7psi with about a 25-50hp gain depending on tuning. The turbo charger he pointed out for that was a Mitsubishi made turbo charger thats smaller than a Garrett. It makes less PSI but spools quicker, has very little lag and is easier to put into the engine bay and not interfere with other engine stuff. Price around $2000.

Again, it would be a smaller-than-a-Garrett Mitsubishi made turbo charger.

2: Medium build, where it would be either the same Mitsubishi turbocharger or a larger one with a little more engine work like exhaust work, higher tuning and other engine stuff like increasing the piston sizes or strength to get higher PSI, in which case it could get me 45-65hp gain. The cost would be about $3500

3: Heavy build, almost a full rebuild of engine with major work to the engine, transmission and drivetrain. The turbocharger used would be a full on Garrett, about a medium sized one in the Garrett brand, but could be smaller (even so, it's still much bigger than a Mitsubishi turbo). The build would take about 3 months total and be highly risky for a car such as the Aveo because it's not designed to be able to accomidate a turbocharger system. The transmission alone couldn't handle that higher torque generated. The work would cost about $4000-$5000. He actually reccomended me to not look into it just because the Aveo probably couldn't handle it with the current engine... BTW the car is year 2004, 1st model year, the build quality is quite terrible compared to the new redesign Aveo.

My point is, Garrett's are usually for bigger engines and cars that can handle the higher PSI. The Aveo car and engine are small and with that logic the turbocharger should be small as well unless you can afford the heavy work needed.

Mark

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:23 am

precisionboost wrote:
Petrified.Rabbit wrote:the VXR engine looks more like the new ecotec in the 09 and up. Same valve cover design, more similar manifolds, but i cannot get enough pictures of the VXR 1.6 16v turbo engine to be too sure though. cannot locate the oil filter etc..

the 09 aveo also has more "bosch" style electronics, we have a MAF, coil pack on the plugs, etc.. When my fuel pump died, the dealer even made a comment they had to special order a bosch fuel pump. Not sure if that is accurate though, but the sensors i can see look the same configuration (maf, o2, etc)

maybe this will be more direct for ecotec based aveos?

I can promise you that there have been about 20 different engine management systems for the 1.6L Iron block Ecotec which has been around since the early 80's (perhaps even earlier)..... MAF/MAP..... doesn't make much difference either way.

Given the Corsa VXR, new Aveo, Old Aveo, Lanos and a dozen other cars all have 1.6L with 79mm bore X 81.5mm stroke I have to think it's simply the same old engine with a new head design.

According to WIKI they still class this new twinport as a GM Family 1 engine.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_1_engine

What about 1.4 16v E-TECH that is produced here in Europe? Do you know something about this engine because i am also interested in some turbo work :)

Here is simbolic picture of it...

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:11 pm

g0ast wrote:Hey um I might be late to the conversation but I'd like to share my thoughts...

I went to a turbo shop that only builds custom turbo systems for cars and I went there to see what it would take to get a turbo for my Aveo.

He didn't give me any BS and he talked straight to me like a car-guy, not a salesman.

He told me that it's very doable, but it depends on how much work you want to put into it.

He told me my options:

1: A basic turbo system with very little work done to the engine aside from programming, headers and rewiring and/or repiping. In which case I could expect 5-7psi with about a 25-50hp gain depending on tuning. The turbo charger he pointed out for that was a Mitsubishi made turbo charger thats smaller than a Garrett. It makes less PSI but spools quicker, has very little lag and is easier to put into the engine bay and not interfere with other engine stuff. Price around $2000.

Again, it would be a smaller-than-a-Garrett Mitsubishi made turbo charger.

2: Medium build, where it would be either the same Mitsubishi turbocharger or a larger one with a little more engine work like exhaust work, higher tuning and other engine stuff like increasing the piston sizes or strength to get higher PSI, in which case it could get me 45-65hp gain. The cost would be about $3500

3: Heavy build, almost a full rebuild of engine with major work to the engine, transmission and drivetrain. The turbocharger used would be a full on Garrett, about a medium sized one in the Garrett brand, but could be smaller (even so, it's still much bigger than a Mitsubishi turbo). The build would take about 3 months total and be highly risky for a car such as the Aveo because it's not designed to be able to accomidate a turbocharger system. The transmission alone couldn't handle that higher torque generated. The work would cost about $4000-$5000. He actually reccomended me to not look into it just because the Aveo probably couldn't handle it with the current engine... BTW the car is year 2004, 1st model year, the build quality is quite terrible compared to the new redesign Aveo.

My point is, Garrett's are usually for bigger engines and cars that can handle the higher PSI. The Aveo car and engine are small and with that logic the turbocharger should be small as well unless you can afford the heavy work needed.

not bad for $2000, i would be interested in a kit of a sort, no lag would be great, we dont need some bigass garret turbo anyways :lol:

XJCasper

Postby XJCasper » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:17 pm

Where is the Goast located?

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”