yes, its on the list too, i want a prius sooooo bad

http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: Diesel?

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:39 pm

trempus wrote:exactly
and it something like 140hp stock

GTD had 170 stock, and with a gaic chip is is more like 190..

that is enough for me.

Manorness7

Postby Manorness7 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:17 pm

thehunterooo wrote:
Manorness7 wrote:yea was thinking that, the volkswagon golf would be perfect

you could sell your aveo and buy a new prius like what im doing

It's not diesel, besides I dont want a prius hybrid lol, would prefer 100% electric.

trempus

Postby trempus » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:25 pm

Manorness7 wrote:
thehunterooo wrote:
Manorness7 wrote:yea was thinking that, the volkswagon golf would be perfect

you could sell your aveo and buy a new prius like what im doing

It's not diesel, besides I dont want a prius hybrid lol, would prefer 100% electric.

well the chevrolet volt is coming ot next year and it is 100% electric

2004 aveo
2006 uplander

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:39 pm

am i the only one who thinks electric cars like the volt are not going to be what they say they are..

good for the environment?: compared to an SUV yes.. but compared to a good diesel (not offered in this country) that gets close to 75 per gallon for 1/2 the price and doesn't have a 300lb toxic battery pack that needs replaced every 3-5 years.. Still used tires etc..

Economical?: the price difference between this and an aveo would buy a lot of gas. plus the battery replacement will cost more than most engine work.

long trips: both use gas at some point, but the volt at least the volt only recharges it self as opposed to hybrid that just become underpowered gas cars.

if the US could turn away from massive SUVs and bring over the small cars the rest of the world relies on, we would be in better shape.

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:37 pm

i like gas guzzling cars and suvs...that have power :oops:
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

Manorness7

Postby Manorness7 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:58 pm

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:am i the only one who thinks electric cars like the volt are not going to be what they say they are..

good for the environment?: compared to an SUV yes.. but compared to a good diesel (not offered in this country) that gets close to 75 per gallon for 1/2 the price and doesn't have a 300lb toxic battery pack that needs replaced every 3-5 years.. Still used tires etc..

Economical?: the price difference between this and an aveo would buy a lot of gas. plus the battery replacement will cost more than most engine work.

long trips: both use gas at some point, but the volt at least the volt only recharges it self as opposed to hybrid that just become underpowered gas cars.

if the US could turn away from massive SUVs and bring over the small cars the rest of the world relies on, we would be in better shape.

Even if they did need replacement every 3-5 years that's pretty good considering what that would cost in fuel anyway. Even in a diesel that would still pay for the battery plus still keep a chunk of change in your wallet. A majority of the people don't drive their car long distances everyday... although I do and wish the Chevy Volt had more of a range than 40 miles (Atleast I think that's what I read somewhere).

On another note to agree with rabbit is yeah if there was a nice efficient diesel car, which there easily can be... just bring that crap to the states already it's pissin me off :x ... that would be a nice cheap efficient vehicle that I would be driving. Would be burning homemade biofuel as I have the land to grow it, and would hit up restaurants.

The Conclusion:

If they made an affordable electric vehicle that had a range of 100 miles I would own one over the efficient diesel car, but for now the more realistic choice at this point in time is the efficient diesel car. I mean what happened to the Diesel Volkswagon Golfs that got 62 MPG back in the 80's anyway? Now it's about power and performance... not slow and efficient.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:14 pm

its 40 miles pure electric, after that a small gas engine kicks in to recharge the battery (not power the car).

the same battery design in a hybrid (smaller) can cost about 1200-2600 dollars at the dealer. in an electric only vehicle the battery is either going to be bigger, or more sophisticated (expensive).

$1800 (average) battery / 60 month (high expected battery life)= $30 a month.

the volt is expected to be @ $32000 after the gov rebate.. = @ $525 a month car payment with good credit.

so with no other costs (it does take gas too) that is $555 a month, My aveo is $220 a month with no money down. So for the $305 a month i can spend on gas i can go 2600 a month and still save money. If you drive the volt that much you will have to replace the battery almost yearly.

Manorness7

Postby Manorness7 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:54 pm

Yeah I know what you mean rabbit, electric just isn't the method to go at the moment. I see hydrogen being the way for future cars or methane, if we tapped into the Methane Hydrate that is on the ocean floor and extremely abondant in the Gulf of Mexico, then we would be worry free in cheap fuel sources. The entire Earth's Methane Hydrate supply is said to be able to power the entire world for 1000 years. And since methane is harmful to the atmosphere, it's safer to burn it to keep it from going in it.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:15 pm

there are a lot of possibilities out there that will never happen.

another thing i forgot about the monthly cost of the volt.. if you drive 40 miles a day and need to charge ievery day, according to the amperage, rating scale and current draw of the batteries, it would be almost like hooking up 5 refridgerators to your house. How much would that cost?

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”