Turbo Optra with P&P Headwork Dyno Results

exist3nce

Turbo Optra with P&P Headwork Dyno Results

Postby exist3nce » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:43 pm

Hi all,

Just thought I would post this hear for interest of those who are not on Daewootech/Suziki-forums.

**This latest updgrade has been completed as of mid-November**

Over the past week my machinist has been working on my head, and tonight he finished it up and put it back on the flow bench to see the comparison with stock. The ports look fantastic and are much smoother than before. I have the flowbench results for now, but I will have some pictures of the ports soon. Overall I'm happy with the results this far :)

**All values are in CFM

Intake

Lift------ Before---After
0.100"------88------100
0.200"-----156-----172
0.300"-----189-----197
0.400"-----193-----212
0.450"-----197-----216

Exhaust

Lift------ Before---After
0.100"-----101-----109
0.200"-----160-----167
0.300"-----170-----184
0.400"-----174-----190
0.450"-----176-----193

Here I decided to graph the gains for both intake and exhaust to see a more visual representation.

2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti
F28 6spd gearbox / KW V3 Coilovers
Boosted and Daily driven since Dec. 2006
T04B V-Trim & E-Manage Blue

thehunterooo

Re: Turbo Optra with P&P Headwork Dyno Results

Postby thehunterooo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:44 pm

very nice
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

exist3nce

Postby exist3nce » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:32 am

Here are some pictures of my spare head that I pulled off my old motor with the blown headgasket. I took a closeup of one of the areas where the headgasket was leaking coolant into one of the cylinders:

Image Image Image

Here is what the exhaust and intake ports look like from the factory (stock):

Image Image Image Image

Cleaning all the baked on carbon and crap off the top of the pistons:

Image Image Image Image

This whole swap was done in my home garage :)

Prepping the surface of the block with fine emery cloth for the new head. Cometic MLS gasket and ARP studs are being installed as well:
(we had to drill 3 oil drain holes in the gasket, as they were missing)

Image Image Image Image

Here are the ported and polished exhaust and intake ports:

Image Image Image Image

Installing the head onto the block:

Image Image Image

Thats it for the pictures for now.... dyno results will be coming soon!

exist3nce

Postby exist3nce » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:34 am

I finally had some time to get to the dyno and do some tuning...

I don't have the graph for it, but at 6psi before the porting it made 180whp and after it made 205whp.

During the dyno session we ramped up the boost to 13.5psi and managed to make 253whp at the safe limit of my injectors. Goals for this tune were to make as much horsepower as possible, while keeping a nearly flat torque curve.

The turbo is not maxed out yet, and I should have another mod or two coming soon :)

Image Image

Video is here --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8CO4r68W94
Last edited by exist3nce on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikedudley17

Postby mikedudley17 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:52 pm

The cylinder walls look nice and smooth. Did you hone(sp?) it out yourself? Im sure you know what your doing but before you use that MLS gasket did you make sure that the surface was perfectly flat? Those steel gaskets can be very finicky. Also why did y choose to use an mls gasket? I would prefer to have a composite gasket so as to have a sort of "fuse-like" situation. Id rather pop a gasket than throw a rod/piston. If you are only running about 13-14 psi a composite would be just fine. Just me tho, I know you have been doing this build for quite sometime, good job! Keep up the good work!
I looked inquisitively at my beer and wondered, why aren't you in my belly?

XJCasper

Postby XJCasper » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:22 pm

We have seen the engine.

Where is the car?

Pics please.

Thank you

exist3nce

Postby exist3nce » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:59 pm

mikedudley17 wrote:The cylinder walls look nice and smooth. Did you hone(sp?) it out yourself? Im sure you know what your doing but before you use that MLS gasket did you make sure that the surface was perfectly flat? Those steel gaskets can be very finicky. Also why did y choose to use an mls gasket? I would prefer to have a composite gasket so as to have a sort of "fuse-like" situation. Id rather pop a gasket than throw a rod/piston. If you are only running about 13-14 psi a composite would be just fine. Just me tho, I know you have been doing this build for quite sometime, good job! Keep up the good work!

The cylinder walls have not be re-honed, they have not been touched from the factory.

As for the MLS gasket, I considered my options for quite a while. I went with Cometic because they are a fairly large manufacturer of these gaskets and have so many applications. I could have gone with another composite gasket, but considering the stock ones seem to only last about 1.5years under daily driven boost, I wanted to try something different. My machinist/engine builder through his experience said that composite gaskets just don't stand up well to boost over time. Since the head was polished and ported, it was also resurfaced at that time to make sure it was 100% flat. For the block surface I used emery cloth and a piece of wood to carefully remove all the old gasket material. The car has been driving for a month now without any problems. Thanks for the comments!

exist3nce

Postby exist3nce » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:02 pm

XJCasper wrote:We have seen the engine.

Where is the car?

Pics please.

Thank you

Well this is the engine/drivetrain fourm, not the member's rides or photography section, so what are you expecting? However, I will post some pictures of the car :D

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:36 pm

how much did that transmission run you?
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

mikedudley17

Postby mikedudley17 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:43 pm

exist3nce wrote:The cylinder walls have not be re-honed, they have not been touched from the factory.

As for the MLS gasket, I considered my options for quite a while. I went with Cometic because they are a fairly large manufacturer of these gaskets and have so many applications. I could have gone with another composite gasket, but considering the stock ones seem to only last about 1.5years under daily driven boost, I wanted to try something different. My machinist/engine builder through his experience said that composite gaskets just don't stand up well to boost over time. Since the head was polished and ported, it was also resurfaced at that time to make sure it was 100% flat. For the block surface I used emery cloth and a piece of wood to carefully remove all the old gasket material. The car has been driving for a month now without any problems. Thanks for the comments!

Yeh there are people who are for and against the MLS gaskets. On the DSM boards there were threads with people arguing about them and which is better. I heard of some guys who doubled up the composites. Did you splurge for the copper gasket spray? When I did my HG on my dsm, I used that shit on almost all my gaskets I replaced just for that little bit of extra protection and to minimize boost leak. Which reminds me, do you do leakdown tests every once in a while? Do you use colder plugs? Also did you have to install a check valve?

I looked inquisitively at my beer and wondered, why aren't you in my belly?

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”