I still have 2nd and 4th... want 1st, 2nd, and 5th back

subachad

I still have 2nd and 4th... want 1st, 2nd, and 5th back

Postby subachad » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi,

So I had an epic failure on the Skittle. I thought it was a motor mount, so I did the hillbilly/racer fix and filled my broken driver side motor mount. Still does the same thing though.

As I accelerate, the gear lever will move all the way forward and pop out if its in 1st, 3rd, or 5th. In 2nd and 4th I can get around, but it will move all the way forward which makes for a rather challenging drive.

Any ideas? driver motor mount is ok, I'll probably do the passenger side, the lower pitch mount is fine.

Chad
www.uniquemotorsports.com

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: I still have 2nd and 4th... want 1st, 2nd, and 5th back

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:11 pm

there3 is enough play in the factury setup. luckily i have been through most of it.

check:

the set bolt that connects the rod that comes out of the fire wall to the shifter end. if there is play in that joint that is possibly the problem.

the pin on top of the shifter arm on the mount. it can look perfectly fine. but not on the bottom cup anymore. this would just let the arm rock forward instead of allowing you to shift to the upper gears. i did this accidentally when i put the short shift in.

grab the shifter pivot arm, feel for excessive play, the two plastic cups on eeither end just snap on and stay in place but hold the rod there with a c clip if one is worth through, it will not actuate the next piece.

finally the connection at the input shaft of the transmission it has a plastic square inside two U ends on the shifter shafts. if that were to wear out that the arm could still spin for side to side, but not move back and forth with the shifter.

beyond that, ir could be the shifter itself, ot god forbid the syncros in the transmission.

unfortunately you have to buy a whole arm assembly from the dealer to replace any of those pieces, for @ $60. But i have them all sitting here if you need any.

subachad

Postby subachad » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Shifter and arm assembly is fine. Filling the motor mount helped, but not enough. I had my wife feather the clutch as I looked under the car (I'm trusting) and the mount that goes from the engine to the firewall has failed. I'll be fabricating a replacement tonight... I might even offer it for sale if I like how it comes out.

Too much grip and a little too much power for the mount I guess... which is sad to say for a 110hp car.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:12 pm

the dog bone failed? allowing the engine to lean enough to change gears,,, wow, i guess i better work on mine.

subachad

Postby subachad » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:06 pm

I lost a bolt... If you look at #6 of the following link, I'm actually missing 2 of the 3 that hold this to the engine. This makes the entire bracket swing and therefore the motor is allowed to flex.

http://www.gmpartsdistributor.com/partl ... atalogid=0

I have the engine mount filled, the torque mount is also beefed up and so is the trans mount. Once I get these two missing bolts, I'll be good to go again. Until then, I'm driving my wifes Element.

While writing this I went ahead and wrote a blog post to better show what I'm talking about. Here is a good picture that shows 2 of the 3 missing bolts.

Here is an image of the filled motor mount.

Check my latest blog post for more images.

Chad

marmite369

Postby marmite369 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:03 pm

i had this happen to me it turned out to be the gear box mount had actually sheered two bolts that hold the mount to the engine bay it's self cost me over £300 to get this fixed properly but works fine now not had any other problems could this be where the bolts are missing from?

subachad

Postby subachad » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:24 pm

The two holes in the bracket show where the two bolts go. I'm pretty sure they are a 12M by 1.25... I also have some wheel studs for a Subaru which are also a 1.25. I'll be welding on an extension and using these to test the bolt size and as a temporary fix until some new bolts come in.

300? wow... seems expensive for a couple of bolts.

Also, here is a direct link to the post

http://www.uniquemotorsports.com/2010/0 ... ng-take-2/

marmite369

Postby marmite369 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:40 am

well it ended up costing so much because i had tried to put off getting it fixed till payday and it had fucked the gearbox mount and the place where it met the engine bay and then that pieces mount to so had to get it all replaced through main dealer no one else local would touch it

subachad

Postby subachad » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:49 pm

I see what you are saying now. The transmission housing where the bolt goes actually broke. I now have it as good as I can. The middle bolt is still missing as where it bolts to is broke. The lower bolt has a Subaru stud which was meant to be temporary, but I can't get it out since the extension I welded to it broke off.

With the motor mounts filled, it will keep some of the pressure off that mount so I'm not all too worried about it. If it breaks again, then maybe a 2.0 will go in.

With the motor mounts filled, the car feels faster. Shifts are smoother, when I shift or rev, the gear lever barely moves now. I like it.

Chad

ontarian_frog

Postby ontarian_frog » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:00 pm

Well sucks about the mounting holes being damaged... Good to hear stiffer mounts really help getting rid of the drivetrain sloppiness. I'll have to do this if I keep the car.

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”