engine mounts

marmite369

engine mounts

Postby marmite369 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:31 pm

has anyone got a diy guide on here how to fill them. cheers i did have a look but couldn't find one

exist3nce

Re: engine mounts

Postby exist3nce » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:29 pm

marmite369 wrote:has anyone got a diy guide on here how to fill them. cheers i did have a look but couldn't find one

Copied from my thread on Daewootech:

I've gotten really tired of the soggy motor mounts on this car.... and I have my first track day coming up soon (curvy track/circuit).

The biggest problem seems to be the upper transmission mount. I've tried to fill it before several times with different materials, but none has lasted more than a week or 2. I've tried metal epoxy and that was very nice and stiff, but ended up cracking and coming out in little pieces. Then I tried some black RTV gasket sealant, but that was too soft and basically made no improvement over stock. Lastly I tried 3M window weld, as I heard some people has used that with success. Fail again, it popped out again within a couple weeks.

This time I am going with the "hockey puck" method which I recently heard of lol. Essentially I am cutting up a hockey puck into pieces that I can jam into the empty areas of the mount. That will be followed by some rubber cement or whatnot to hold things in place, and maybe even a metal plate welded over the ends to keep everything permanently in place.

Heres some pics so far.... (I chopped the back plate off the mount)

Image Image

Image Image

Some further progress ...

Found some adhesive suitable for rubber that can withstand vibrations, and applied it to the pieces and inside of the mount. Then inserted pieces into the mount and filled any leftover small holes with the adhesive.

Image Image

Image Image

Have had this mount in now for about 8 months, its still holding together after track and drag use!
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti
F28 6spd gearbox / KW V3 Coilovers
Boosted and Daily driven since Dec. 2006
T04B V-Trim & E-Manage Blue

subachad

Re: engine mounts

Postby subachad » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:29 pm

Those are some good fill images. I recently filled mine as well.

http://www.uniquemotorsports.com/2010/0 ... ng-take-2/

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”