hearing an odd noise!?!?!

WOLFMAN AK907

Re: hearing an odd noise!?!?!

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:39 pm

Hmmm...might be a CV axle after all. Good luck bro, hope you figure it out.

Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:50 pm

i hate to say it, iit could be a going with clutch. (because i don't want to say transmission)

but its a noise under load only? if you rest you foot on each pedal (not press) can you feel it? not likely with a hydraulic clutch but.. if you do, which pedal? do you feel it in the shifter?

do you have a/c?

fan look ok?

did you check the engine mounts yet?

a arm mounts?

noise is definitely in front and not under?

metal knock? like ting? deep knock.. what?

C3Customs

Postby C3Customs » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:08 am

Yeah I got a similar sound...like something is bouncing around the engine bay, but only when the car is idle in park..... I will be investigating mine this weekend also...at least I know where to look now....

Aveosummit aka "C3Customs"

C3 Testimonials

Bravox Audio - Crossfire - Stetsom - ARC Audio - Second Skin - Mobile Spec - Batcap - Excessive Amperage - Audiopipe - Clarion - DLS - GermanMaestro

Reddemonx92

Postby Reddemonx92 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:16 am

You can also check the serpent belt tensioner. It might be broken if it makes a noise on idle.

one_man_jam

Postby one_man_jam » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:10 am

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:i hate to say it, iit could be a going with clutch. (because i don't want to say transmission)

but its a noise under load only? if you rest you foot on each pedal (not press) can you feel it? not likely with a hydraulic clutch but.. if you do, which pedal? do you feel it in the shifter?

do you have a/c?

fan look ok?

did you check the engine mounts yet?

a arm mounts?

noise is definitely in front and not under?

metal knock? like ting? deep knock.. what?

the noise doesn't really come around under load, its mostly when the rpms drop and go up from 1500 to 2000 nothing before that and nothing after it
no i can't say i feel anything on the pedals or the shifter
i don't have ac as well
my fan is ok though i had a lot of ice frozen and it wasn't able to move until i knocked all the ice chunks out but it is working fine now
i haven't been able to check my mounts yet, but i will be doing so this weekend.
the noise is definitely not a tingy noise its almost like the sound when you let out the clutch and don't give it enough gas....just that it is coming from underneath the driver side kinda close to the left front wheel :?
i was able to hear it with my door open last night.

thanks everyone for the suggestions though i will be sure to check them all out :)
UR Canada goodies installed and available here http://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=catalog/27
ImageImage

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:30 am

C3Customs wrote:Yeah I got a similar sound...like something is bouncing around the engine bay, but only when the car is idle in park..... I will be investigating mine this weekend also...at least I know where to look now....

me too, but it is when it is in idle in any park or drive
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:36 pm

one_man_jam wrote:the noise doesn't really come around under load, its mostly when the rpms drop and go up from 1500 to 2000 nothing before that and nothing after it
no i can't say i feel anything on the pedals or the shifter
i don't have ac as well
my fan is ok though i had a lot of ice frozen and it wasn't able to move until i knocked all the ice chunks out but it is working fine now
i haven't been able to check my mounts yet, but i will be doing so this weekend.
the noise is definitely not a tingy noise its almost like the sound when you let out the clutch and don't give it enough gas....just that it is coming from underneath the driver side kinda close to the left front wheel :?
i was able to hear it with my door open last night.
thanks everyone for the suggestions though i will be sure to check them all out :)

This is really starting to sound more and more like a tranny...You might get lucky and it's just a clutch acting up. How many miles does your car have again? Auto-x doesn't help things like this. :lol:
ImageImageImage

one_man_jam

Postby one_man_jam » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:50 pm

whewww :D fixed it and everything is good now.

it turned out to be the brace i got from subachad awhile back. from driving in the snowy and icy roads this winter season it got so bent up that the tranny was practically sittin right on top of it. it was the tranny tapping against it that was making the noise. took that old brace out and viola no more noise :lol: looks like i need a better brace like that orange summit tie bar xiaogary has.

thanks everyone for suggestions and help though :D

here is the mangled up brace, you can see the nice arc it has...its supposed to be straight across :shock:
the mounting pt also has a nice bend thats not supposed to be there
you can see the major rubbage here against the tranny
and here was some more rubbage against the exhaust
everything still looks good though, no major damage done to the tranny or exhaust , just some scratches :)

oh ya i just passed 50k not too long ago and i could imagine that autox wouldn't have helped any if it was a more serious problem. THE AVEO gods have blessed me kindly with this unfortunate event :lol:
UR Canada goodies installed and available here http://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=catalog/27
ImageImage

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:10 pm

Hmmm, I never saw this brace...where does it mount to? Any more info on it? It looks like the similiar brace for the rear I saw on here somewhere. Seems like it would work effectively if only it were made out of a stronger material. This looks like one of the "conduit" braces.
ImageImageImage

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:29 pm

lmao that is funny :P

http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”