200 Hp Factory Ecotec Engine

precisionboost

Re: 200 Hp Factory Ecotec Engine

Postby precisionboost » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:31 pm

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:At the point of converting to rwd i think the engine choice would no longer match an aveo bellhousing.

Not sure what you mean, the picture of the RWD transmission bellhousing is an exact match to the 1.6L and 2.0L engines.

Perhaps it's just because one is tilted compared to the other, but they are an exact match.

There are also some Saab Gearboxes that fit the 1.6L, 2.0L but they don't use the same mounts or gear change linkage so it would be a lot of work.

There are other gearboxes.... such as as the Getrag 282 which was put on the 2.0L 8V turbo ( C20GET )

Oddly enough the Getrag 282 has a similar pattern to that of the Getrag F40, GM simply made an adapter plate to make it work.... but again just like with the Saab engines/gearboxes there would be some work involved in making it work.

I actually have that adapter plate around somewhere as I had purchased an 87 Sunbird GT turbo for the sole purpose of removing the C20GET to install in my Lanos ( which I've yet to do )

precisionboost

Postby precisionboost » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:47 pm

AveoSwagg09 wrote:Hmm...V6 aveo. sex! lol. i personally would if i had the money but im lookin at either a Z20let or a 2.2l engine and turbo that; less potential but should also be cheaper. Does the v6 drop in though?

As with anything there is some work to be done, I'm not entirely sure about the engine mounts as I would assume they are on the side instead of above the crank pulley.

It's possible that mount is there, just like the earlier 1.6L and 2.0L engines where they were installed with a "side mount" despite the fact that the bolt holes for the center mount were there underneath the timing belt cover.

This V6 was mounted side to side in the Opel Vectra, Opel Cavalier, Opel Calibra ..... so I assume there is some alternate mount locations as compared to these Catera engines.

How to do it is just a matter of searching some of the UK/Europe forums as many of them have "how to" sections on V6 conversions into smaller cars like the Astra

I am by no means trying to say the 3.0L V6 is the best or easiest option, right now the factory turbocharged 2.0L 8V from the 87 Sunbird GT is the easiest and cheapest.

The engines can be found in scrap yards across north america and with the installation of a center mount from a Chevrolet Optra ( suzuki reno/forenza ) it is an exact drop in.

That is to say the Optra center mount lines up with the bolt holes on the C20GET and the combination in turn lines up exactly with the factory engine mount for the Aveo 1.6L

The C20GET is an old motor.... but one could add 16V heads and even swap over the newer 2.0L crankshaft to get the reluctor wheel required for distributorless ignition.

Rebuild of the C20GET can be relatively cheap ( a thousand to two thousand ) if you go with mildly decent components.

There are lots of options for forged rods and forged pistons here in north america ( http://www.importperformanceparts.net/ )

....... OH SNAP..... they now carry "vauxhall opel" rods for the X16XEV !!!

They are cheap as hell.... $389 a set !

Guess I will have some good news for my Daewootech guys as well.... I don't think anyone noticed the addition of these rods.

kamikaze

Postby kamikaze » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:42 pm

I got cofused... the caddy V6 will be a derect bolt on and the cobolt SS superchared will not work well?

kamikaze

Postby kamikaze » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:43 pm

I have a 09 hatch if that makes any diffrence

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:53 am

nothing is a "direct" bolt on, a swap is a swap, it will go on, but will probably need clutch, flywheel etc figured out, and you would probably want to upgrade to at least a f20 gearbox. plus you need to wire it up, make it run appropriately, etc.

it all depends on the strides your willing to take.

kamikaze

Postby kamikaze » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:27 pm

OK Thank you.
I decided to go with the superchared Cobal moter.
I'm working on my jeep now so it's going to be after I finish that and the worrenty runs out.

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”