Aveo 2.0L Turbocharged

Nemasys

Re: Aveo 2.0L Turbo [Megasquirt Pics!]

Postby Nemasys » Sun May 02, 2010 2:32 am

Megasquirt pictures.

Right now im doing research on how I can wire this thing up to the existing harness so it can act as a piggyback system. The plan is to have the stock ECU run everything except the fuel.

The injectors should be in sometime this week. Hopefully I can start installing stuff next weekend!

2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged
- T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
- HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
- FMIC with 2.5" piping
- Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

Denis

Postby Denis » Sun May 02, 2010 8:02 am

u gata come down to toronto to meet up with exist3nce and me this summer
2004 Suzuki Swift+S (Adventure Vehicle/Winter Car)
2008 Mitsubishi Galant (Daily driver/Highway Boat)

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sun May 02, 2010 10:06 am

i just looked around too, most suggest you have to share or double (some) sensors so the megasquirt gets all of its readings, and basically unplug the fueling harness from the ecu. but be careful with this as if the fueling the computer wants to send out doesnt match the o2 reading you will get a code, and i believe the etech retards timing as well correct?

never used megasquirt as piggyback, nor do i know the etech inside and out..

exist3nce

Postby exist3nce » Mon May 03, 2010 1:08 pm

Denis wrote:u gata come down to toronto to meet up with exist3nce and me this summer

Haha yah that would be cool!
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti
F28 6spd gearbox / KW V3 Coilovers
Boosted and Daily driven since Dec. 2006
T04B V-Trim & E-Manage Blue

exist3nce

Postby exist3nce » Mon May 03, 2010 1:49 pm

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:i just looked around too, most suggest you have to share or double (some) sensors so the megasquirt gets all of its readings, and basically unplug the fueling harness from the ecu. but be careful with this as if the fueling the computer wants to send out doesnt match the o2 reading you will get a code, and i believe the etech retards timing as well correct?

never used megasquirt as piggyback, nor do i know the etech inside and out..

If hes using the 2.0L its the DTEC :P Anyways it has to do with the management more than the motor itself.

If you are going to totally cut off the injectors from the stock ECU, I would expect some issues. This being an OBD2 ULEV vehicle, the ECU is anal about fueling and emissions. During idle, cruising and part throttle conditions the ECU will be trying to run the fueling in closed loop mode with the O2 sensor. If you have your wideband hooked up you will see the AFR's oscillate constantly between low 14's to low 15's during those conditions. It does this to get the best tailpipe emissions while also prolonging the life of the catalytic converter. What I'm trying to say is that the ECU watches the O2 readings in correlation with fuel being added very closely. If you take away its ability to adjust fuel, you will likely get some sort of DTC with a CEL (maybe not right away tho). Once a fuel/O2 related DTC is activated, the ECU will be in a sort of limp mode with slightly less timing and worse throttle response. This is one of the reasons I am planning for standalone on my car this summer.... I am sick of having to clear DTC codes for stupid O2 and emissions related stuff.

Overall with that method, I believe the car will still run ok, just that it won't be optimal. If you could take control of both FUEL and TIMING, then you're really in an ideal situation. Another option is to get an O2 simulator for the primary O2 sensor that would splice into the signal line and continually feed a fake oscillating O2 signal to the ECU, so that you could do whatever you want with the fuel and the ECU will be happy. Let us know how it goes it any case.

ontarian_frog

Postby ontarian_frog » Mon May 03, 2010 4:11 pm

The ECU will freak out about the injectors. Even before it enters closed loop. The ECU has a driver for every injector and if one doesn't fire, let alone all 4 of them, it will log a code and the MIL will come on.

http://gm.ws123.net/EN/documents_2006/kalos/sm-t/6t2_1f01.en.html#T1F0EWD9

http://gm.ws123.net/EN/documents_2006/kalos/sm-t/6t2_1f25.en.html#T1F0FI

exist3nce

Postby exist3nce » Mon May 03, 2010 4:36 pm

ontarian_frog wrote:The ECU will freak out about the injectors. Even before it enters closed loop. The ECU has a driver for every injector and if one doesn't fire, let alone all 4 of them, it will log a code and the MIL will come on.

http://gm.ws123.net/EN/documents_2006/kalos/sm-t/6t2_1f01.en.html#T1F0EWD9

http://gm.ws123.net/EN/documents_2006/kalos/sm-t/6t2_1f25.en.html#T1F0FI

Hahah I guess you could just leave the stock injectors plugged into the harness and dangling there in the engine bay so the ECU "thinks" its firing the injectors lol.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Mon May 03, 2010 5:00 pm

was mstly commenting on what I read online. Not suggesting he do it.

Nemasys

Postby Nemasys » Mon May 03, 2010 6:21 pm

I also want to move to a true standalone system in the future with MSD ignition, but right now budget is getting pretty tight.

Unless the megasquirt is somehow compatible with the ignition system in these cars wich i doubt is, then i have to find a ghetto way of running it safely.

I could also just leave the primary O2 sensor in there, im using the stock manifold, why not leave the O2 sensor in there pluged in? The secondary O2 sensor will have to be removed tho.
- FMIC with 2.5" piping

Nemasys

Re: Aveo 2.0L Turbo [DSM Injectors Pics!]

Postby Nemasys » Thu May 06, 2010 3:31 pm

The final piece of the puzzle arrived in the mail this morning, 4 DSM 450cc "Bluetop" injectors

Install starts tomorow.

- FMIC with 2.5" piping

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”