Aveo 2.0L Turbocharged

exist3nce

Re: Aveo 2.0L Turbocharged [End of the line...]

Postby exist3nce » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:12 am

Yes I can answer more specific questions about the 6 spd swap... However I think you should make a new thread instead of hijacking this one...

Back to the original topic....

What kind of gas have you been using Nemasys? How much boost were you running? I assume not much if the stock injectors were keeping it in the proper AFR.

2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti
F28 6spd gearbox / KW V3 Coilovers
Boosted and Daily driven since Dec. 2006
T04B V-Trim & E-Manage Blue

Nemasys

Postby Nemasys » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:52 am

6 psi running on 91 octane

Maybe a spark plug failed and caused a misfire, i dont know what happened.
2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged
- T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
- HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
- FMIC with 2.5" piping
- Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:47 pm

Nemasys wrote:I hope you know what your getting into to get the 6 speed, it will cost you over 3 grand to get it working into your Aveo. If you want any info regarding the 6 speed, you might want to have a chat with exist3nce, he has it into his turbo Optra but he also paid big buks to get it.

Besides the fact that the the F28 6-speed is a cable operated clutch vs. the Aveo's hydrolically operated. What a headache that would be...not to mention, F28's are sensative gear-boxes. They break a lot, or so I read.
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

NYChevoo

Postby NYChevoo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:30 pm

Ok grupos locos, I'm gonna jump in here and add my worthless .02 to this thread. I'm probably much older than all of you on here. If some of you are interested in turning these little cars into speed demons then why not skip the whole idea and buy a GTI or a Mazda 6 or something like that. Listen I love my Aveo for what it is. Its a very economical fuel efficient vehicle that has been tremendously dependable as a daily driver. Granted I also understand the weight to HP ratio as well. How many of these do we have to blow up before we figure out that maybe we should have spent the money on a used whatever? It seems that for all the time, cash, heartache and sweat we put into them, there are cars out there with the HP we are building ours to achieve. I'm not a purist, and I have done this myself with several vehicles including my own Buick Grand National. Came out base with 200hp and woked on it until I hit 400hp. So I guess in that respect it makes me a hypocrite. I have over the time I've been a member here and on the old forum followed everyones build progress and seriously was impressed, but the end result typically didnt end up good. I'm not critisizing any of my brothers and sisters here on the boards but with age and a lot of money down the drain in my life comes experience. By the way I'm so old my birthstone is LAVA. 46 to the rest of you.
He drives like a man on his way home from work!
00 Jeep Grand Cherokee
02 Chevy Suburban Z71
04 Aveo Sedan (Silver)
07 Aveo Hatchback (Active Red)
85 Mercedes 300SD

Nemasys

Postby Nemasys » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:34 pm

I agree, recently ive come to realise then maybe its not worth it anymore.

It was fun while it lasted, ive had my aveo for 6 years now, and im getting tired of how impractical the car can be at times.

So im looking for a new car that will be dependable and it will remain stock all the way.

Im not sure what im doing with my aveo yet.
- FMIC with 2.5" piping

NYChevoo

Postby NYChevoo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:04 am

When I finally got tired of the modifications, the drivetrain changes, the reprogramming of the ecu I was in my 20's. Now in being in my mid 40's I decided monetarily my interest led me in new directions. So thats where the love of older diesel powered Mercedes came into existence. I'm even possibly contemplating the idea of buying a used Corvette around 1997 to 2002 model years. Typically people do not use them as daily drivers so its not unheard of to find one for $15k to $18K with mid mileage on them fairly reasonably priced. Theres my zippy car. All I'm going to do to that is a prom chip, air intake and a nice rumbly exhaust system be it Flowmaster or Magnaflow. I'm not going to go crazy either way.
Now with you in mind why not move up to a nice 6 cylinder, of higher hp 4 cylinder to quench your need for speed? In my teens I fought long and hard to keep my license and eventually lost the battle. I ended up with several suspensions, tickets, arrests, car impoundings, and around $8K in moving violations. I was able to get a work restricted license issued by NYS Dept of Licensing, which lasted 16 months. After that whole disaster I have been able to keep my license with no problems for many years, and no more importantly because I have a commercial license I cant afford to lose it because thats how I make my living. The purpose of all of this is to inform you that eventually we all get caught and speed and racing doesnt help the situation. Take it from me, I'm looking out for your best interests!
00 Jeep Grand Cherokee
02 Chevy Suburban Z71
04 Aveo Sedan (Silver)
85 Mercedes 300SD

Nemasys

Postby Nemasys » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:50 am

Yeah i understand your point of vue and thanks for the advice.

Im not that crazy for speed that much tho but i like to have a car that has some go at least. You wont catch me doing over 65-70 too much but i like a car that can get to 60 pretty fast 8-)

Im gonna be 28 next year so most of my crazy late teens and early 20`s driving stunts and stupid things i did are behind me and im much more carefull then i used to be at the wheel. Ive done my share of stupid things in a car but i got pretty lucky and i only got 3 tickets ever since i got my license at 16 years old.

So i dont really need a car that will destroy everything on the road, the car im getting is also for my girlfriend, and shes learning to drive so i cant get a 300 hp monster lol but we are going to find something nice at least.

I would kill for a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3, but that might be too much for my girl. And its quite expensive too!
- FMIC with 2.5" piping

exist3nce

Postby exist3nce » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:21 pm

In seeing the direction this thread is going I feel I have to add my thoughts as well...

NYChevoo:

First of all no one who has experience ever said modifying cars to achieve much higher HP than stock was ever cheap, or good "bang for the buck". Its not a cheap hobby nor does it really make any financial sense. But for any enthusiast, the motivations for doing these things lie elsewhere.

You say "...If some of you are interested in turning these little cars into speed demons then why not skip the whole idea and buy a GTI or a Mazda 6 or something like that..."

The whole reason (for me at least) is to have something different and unique, that nobody else has. Something that you have worked hard on and can honestly say that you understand how everything works, and then improve upon it. Anyone can go out and buy a GTI with 200hp (which isn't very much), but they haven't learned or accomplished anything except to open up their wallet and fork over the cash. I do understand that for most people, this is the route they would choose - because its easier. And where does that leave you - the exact same as every other one of the million GTIs out there.

Nemasys:

I know it can be a difficult battle with cars such as these (Aveo, Optra) because of the limited aftermarket support and need for custom parts. But it is possible to have a reliable 2.0 turbo running and daily driven with more power than a GTI or MazdaSpeed :)

The easiest econo-car of course to make fast now is any Honda with a B series swap. Millions of aftermarket parts available in north america + lots of R&D has already been done = easy 500hp+
I've actually considered doing a Honda B swap into my Optra, but I think that would have to wait until the car is not needed as a daily driver.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti
F28 6spd gearbox / KW V3 Coilovers
Boosted and Daily driven since Dec. 2006
T04B V-Trim & E-Manage Blue

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:48 pm

I guess I'll speak since I have had GTIs and vw's in general. Along with mustangs and other high hp cars.

The aveo is just fun to drive/own I see no harm in improving it. Pushing it past reliablity is easy but with time and patience almost any setup can be fine tunedto do so. I think that is what's got nemasys here. He's pushed a daily pretty far and it still has kinks so he can't just drive it. I've been there. Hopefully he will keep the car work out the kinks and have it for fun or something.

The aveo is a similar platform to the gti just much much smaller. You could do a 1.8t o2m swap keep it stock and drive it and be faster than all the gtis based on weight.

Building cars isn't a choice, it's a disease.

NYChevoo

Postby NYChevoo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:48 pm

I just wanted to clarify something here for all. I'm not disputing anyones points or interests. I've driven the road of "pride in modification accomplishments". All I'm saying is at some point I got over it. I still enjoy reading everyone elses posts in relation to working and modifying our cars.

00 Jeep Grand Cherokee
02 Chevy Suburban Z71
04 Aveo Sedan (Silver)
85 Mercedes 300SD

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”