Can't get the timing belt back ON

Monzaveo

Re: Can't get the timing belt back ON

Postby Monzaveo » Sun May 09, 2010 10:14 am

I added an ending to my DIY on Blogspot.

khan4rtist

Postby khan4rtist » Sun May 09, 2010 11:39 am

ahhh thanks for that link Rabbit, now i remember what i did, look in the 3rd page of that topic there is a picture with the side of the motor where the timing belt is on. Did you remove that engine mount? once you remove it completely you should be able to get some pliers to the water pump easily.

johnygogo

Postby johnygogo » Tue May 18, 2010 1:29 am

I seriously wish someone would make a video on this! I'm surprised there isn't one out there already when all other model of cars have 1 on youtube. That's the one reason I got mine done because everything I read was really vague. I find the tensioner really tricky to understand...well hopefully 1 day someone will post a good helpfull video!

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Tue May 18, 2010 4:47 pm

i dont make diy because more than half of what people want i dont even think is really something i would need to put attention too.

Monzaveo

Postby Monzaveo » Thu May 27, 2010 12:21 am

Its totally simple.

The waterpump BODY is mounted to the block so that it can twist around in a circle in a bore.

The waterpump SHAFT and BELT COG are mounted to the waterpump body offset from center.

So when you twist the waterpump body the shaft and beltcog move inboard and outboard.

Inboard loosens tension on the belt. Outboard increases.

The tensioner is another belt cog mounted on a spring loaded arm. It's the one above the water pump.

The tension of moving the waterpump cog outboard increases tension on the spring loaded tensioner cog.

This cog has a built in Pointer, that indicates the amount of correct tension when it lines up with another pointer on the tensioner.

Thats what adjusts and holds the tension on your Aveo's timing belt.

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”