Another failed motor mount - broken stud

subachad

Another failed motor mount - broken stud

Postby subachad » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:43 pm

So two nights ago, my shifter started moving a little too much on the way home. I thought my extra motor mount brace broke or something similar. Turns out the stud that comes up into the transmission mount failed and the bolt backed part way out. I ended up drilling this out and welding a motor mount stud for bringing a Subaru Engine and Transmission together. This is temporary until I can replace the section of trans mount that bolts to the transmission. I have never had motor mount problems on any other car... I continue to have them with the aveo though... to recap

Passenger side mount torn - ended up filling and replacing
Driver side mount torn - filled it, didn't replace it
Transmission housing broke so the bracket that goes around the trans will only hold 1 of 3 bolts now - made a small support bracket to suppliant this. Also filled in the pitch mount so the excessive movement is not so hard on the other parts.

Other damage caused by the above
hole in a/c line - Set me back just under $100 to replace the line, a/c works again as of a couple days ago

No pictures or anything of any of this work since I really was not in the mood to work on it. In fact, I was hoping to get my Subaru wagon running that night so I can sell it.

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”