Had time belt changed today at GM ( Before it blew up lol) F

Asuna

Had time belt changed today at GM ( Before it blew up lol) F

Postby Asuna » Wed May 19, 2010 11:52 pm

So I took my car in at 101 000KM and had the time belt changed out. Here is a run down of what all was done and what GM said I need the advice of the VERY knowledgable members onhere.

1. [water pump.] They couldnt change it because, "They have to remove the cams and the valve cover so I need cam seals and a valve cover gasket" Neither of ehich did I have. So we didint change the water pump, they said " It's not leaking so it should be ok".

2. [Timing belt, tenisoner pulley] these were actually installed on the car so thats cool. One problem though apparently the Idler pulley I had was the wrong one so the old one is still on there :-(.

My question is about the water pump install do they really have to take that much of the motor apart? The mechanic said it would add another 2 hours but we had no seals and I have to have the car for a 600KM round trip this weekend.

I plan on having the water pump and the idler pulley replaced ASAP but want to know about the gasket and seal deal.

All help is GREATLY appreciated guys/Gals

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: Had time belt changed today at GM ( Before it blew up lol) F

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu May 20, 2010 10:00 am

i already replied once:

petrified.rabbit wrote:i cant see how the cams would need removed to replace the water pump.

the water pump is on the front of the block (or passenger side rear pulley of timing belt)

i am borrowing doax's pictures from aveoforum now:

you can see the water pump is the only geared pulley left attached, and is entirely below the surface of the block. and has its own entry point into the block.
the head goes on top of what is shown. if they had it pulled apart enough to do the timing belt it should have been right in front of them.

it scares me that this is what the dealership had to say. no water pump in any car i can think of requires head disassembly. there are people on here with little to no mechanical experience who have done the timing belt water pump themselves using the diy, the fact that a dealership couldnt figure it out is unacceptable. I would ask for your money back or tell them you want it redone by a competent shop.

the timing belt job is overlap in relation to the water pump as well. it is 3 bolts, could not in any way be an additional 2 hours flat rate. the timing belt should be an included operation, so i have heard the timing belt is about 2 hours flat rate numerous times. so telling you it is 2 additional hours tells me they were charging you for the timing belt twice.

Asuna

Postby Asuna » Thu May 20, 2010 12:25 pm

I wonder why the Mechanic didn't know any of this? I am lost for words really. The only thinking that is stopping me from talking t hem is that apparently I have the wrong time belt idler pulley? So I'll have to go back in and have that put on now. But I mean 2 hours to do the water pump it's not adding up man. . . .. Not at all.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu May 20, 2010 12:39 pm

i see you need to remove the back cover of the timing belt
if i had access to a mitchells i could tell you the exact time it should take.

but removing any of that should not mean new seals, the gears will come off with the center bolt.

unless they are going to open the head and put a pipe wrench on the cams to keep them from spinning, you dont need cams seals or a valve cover gasket. i think they have not discovered en efficient way of doing this and are pulling at straws in your engine compartment.

edit the pipe wrench was a sarcastic remark for all those who might think i was serious..

Asuna

Postby Asuna » Fri May 28, 2010 12:39 am

Makes me Mad all I wanted was the water pump changed out at eh same time as the time belt :-(

Don't really know what to do. I now have the time belt tension pulley and idler pulley changed. . . .

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”