09+ ecotec upgrades

Petrified.Rabbit

09+ ecotec upgrades

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:14 pm

so I have been doing a lot of research, on the ecotec engine and "easy" available upgrades. here are some things i have found:

the 1.6 in our car is identical (without having them side by side to compare interchange parts) to the new version of the vauxhall z16xep which is rated at 105 hp.. There is also a z16xer which is rated at 115, but i cannot find differences mechanically between the two.. other than mention of possible porting differences in the head, and ecu programming.

both these engine have tuning options, included chip flashing, turbo swaps, headers, cams, pistons, etc..

they are kind of pricey but they are out there. Another thing i have noted, is the z16let turbo manifold seems to bolt to both of the engines mentioned previously. using a head spacer to equalize compression to the z16let it seems we could bolt on its turbo accessories, and plug it its computer for @ 200 hp.

there is also a z18xep that seems it is our engine with 1.8l displacement, and more hp.. it seems to use the same block (heads are interchangeable?) but different bore or stroke..

just giving you guys a start to add to the thread if you desire, confirm or add to what i have.. it might be a base for en ecotec build.

WOLFMAN AK907

Re: 09+ ecotec upgrades

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:54 pm

I think PrecisionBoost had mentioned something similar about this a few months back, but it was mentioned in reference to interchangeable parts with the Opel/Vauxhall Corsa w/possible turbo pieces and such being interchangeable. Good info rabbit, we need to research this more. I'll see what I can find as well.
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

marmite369

Postby marmite369 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:04 pm

from what i have been hearing on the uk cruising sceen it apeares that the engine in my particular car the 1.4L 16v uk model the engine is the same as a vauxal astra van. which is the same engine that is in the corsa c in the uk. now there is a huge market in the uk for this particular car and engine as this is one of the starter cars for many modifiers in the uk. so i don't know for certain if this is 100% ture however im sure one of you guys who seem to be amzing in their detailed reserch into these things can find out. if this proves to be true then we may have a huge market alredy built for this particular engine. it is also very reasonably priced here in the uk as like i said it's the basic start for many modifiers out there

just one for you guys to reserch maybe.

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:18 pm

Thanks bud, I'll look into it. I'm sure Keith will be doing the same.
ImageImageImage

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:06 pm

yeah' i havent been looking at your engine we dont have it.. but its probably in the same family..

i'll let you know what i come across, do you have any close vauxhall parts places?? i would like a vxr 1.6t swap..

marmite369

Postby marmite369 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:11 pm

well you say you don't have it but from what iv been lead to believe the 1.4 and the 1.6 both use the same block as each other just bored out to different cc's and i was also hearing that the dawoo lanos the 1.6 engine is the same there as the cams are supposedly the same size bar a little more lift i think again as iv said im no mechanic and im just going but what iv been reading/ hearing out on the cruising scene which im glad to report in the uk the market for our car is starting to grow went to a medium size cruise last weekend and saw 3 other kalos's there so the uk market is starting now guys

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:33 pm

Are you talking about the etecII 1.4 and the 1.6 ? That has pretty much verified that... I am still unaware if the ecotec is that close. Is the 1.4l an ecotec? If so it is just a vauxhall engine like outs is, if the 1.4 vauxhall is the same block etc as the 1.6 ecotec. than yes it is the same. But my sources are only point out the 1.6 and 1.8 is the same block.

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:46 pm

If I remember correctly the 1.4 is exactly the same as the 1.6, just bored to different specs. But if I also remember correctly, Europe didn't get the Ecotec engine when the new aveos came out in 2009...they were still running ETECII engines. That and they had the 1.2L engine that I think ran off E80? I can't remember for sure. I think even Chris Macintosh's blue 3-door hatch that you want Rabbit has the 1.4.
ImageImageImage

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:57 pm

1.4 is the "standard"

1.5 is a stroked 1.4

1.6 is a bored 1.5 (or a stroked and bored 1.4)

thats what i keep finding, regardless of the etecII or ecotec name.. as they dont directly say "aveo" engine

BUT the 1.6 and 1.8 o f the vauxhall ecotec which is the same series as the aveo engine, is the same block as well.

So it is potentially possible to bore and stroke a 1.4 to 1.8...

?

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:18 pm

I'm sure it's been done. Quite possible for not a lot of coin.

ImageImageImage

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”