Hold light and Engine light flashing?

Rainbow1616

Hold light and Engine light flashing?

Postby Rainbow1616 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:47 am

Ok I have a 2009 sedan, lately it seems like it hesitates a little on the highway or going up a hill but only for a second and not all the time.
This morning on the way to work on the highway the hold light and engine light started flashing and it stayed in the gear it was in. I tried pressing the hold button but nothing happened. When I got to work I parked and then hit the hold button and the hold light went off. Turning the car off then on the engine light is now on solid(no flashing)
I have a code reader I will check it this weekend.
When I googled this problem this morning the Edmunds forum came up with others having the same problem and its not been fixed it seems.
Any one experience this or have any thoughts?

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: Hold light and Engine light flashing?

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:38 am

from what i have learned the hold light doubles as a transmission "check engine light"

i dont have an automatic to tall you specifically. But if the tranny doesnt get certain signals from the engine it goes into a "limp" mode as well.. odds are whatever is wrong its just tripped both lights.

this means its potentially a rpm signal, or vacuum issue.. something of that sort. But let us know what the codes are, does your scanner read transmission too?

Rainbow1616

Postby Rainbow1616 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Yes it will read the tranny codes as well, I will post the codes as soon as I check it. I know its still under warranty but its tough being without a car for a day.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:00 pm

tell them when you call you need/expect a free rental, they gave me a pos cobalt while my fuel pump was on order..

(colussy?)

Rainbow1616

Postby Rainbow1616 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:40 pm

Yes Colussy, I bit the bullet and made an appt for Tuesday. It was pretty bad going home last night with both lights flashing it would only do 40mph going up Greentree Hill from downtown. It seems to be fair on the level but going uphill its a gamble.

Rainbow1616

Postby Rainbow1616 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:25 pm

Well I took it to colussy and they told me I have 1 bad plug. They did not have any and couldn't get them till the am so I pick up the car tomorrow around 830 and see how it runs then. To me there seemed like a lot more going on than a bad plug and why is the plug bad with just 18k on it?

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:27 pm

well it could be, one bad plug, causing a dead cylinder could cause almost 50% power loss in a waste spark ignition..

One completely dead cylinder, and one cylinder not firing 100%..

i would just hope it is a bad plug, and not something causing the plug to go bad.. I am due for a tune up.. maybe over christmas break. I wonder what my plugs look like.

Rainbow1616

Postby Rainbow1616 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:33 am

Well I picked it up, It seems to run better ...but I did not even make it all the way home the engine light came back on. The code on the paper P0300 and P2270

Guess I'm making another appt. Like I have time for this.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am

Sounds like a bad o2 sensor and the engine was cutting timing or something until the p0300 code came up..

the p0300 is the crank position sensor (relearn is commonly needed after an engine install)

the p2270 is the primary o2. (mine went bad as well)

Rainbow1616

Postby Rainbow1616 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:41 pm

Well those were the original 2 codes, before I got it home it threw the light again and I checked the codes and got P2270 and thats it. It is still driving ok though. I have to take it back, they said bring it back today but I didn't have a chance, I will take it back tomorrow.
I did grab a kool muscle car calendar while I was there though. :D

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”