Ahoy! There she blows!

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: Ahoy! There she blows!

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:06 am

odds are pretty good its just bent valves honestly.. but it all really depends on how / when the belt broke (pulley in your case) and how out of time it got, how many rpms, etc..

I'm not sure how much of an interference engine the aveo is, but it really just needs to move the valve out of the way, often they are not even bent enough to were there dont "function" they just dont seat properly for a compression seal..

i would probably still pay $550, but i would just rebuild your head before shelling out more than $1000.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:08 am

and where are you located? i might be able to help you find an engine..

dpawl31

Postby dpawl31 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:19 pm

New Hampshire... I assume you are pittsburg PA :(

dpawl31

Postby dpawl31 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:30 pm

So I can snag an 07 motor for $400, just shy of 30k on it.

What are the differences with the different year motors and such?
I read somewhere someone dropped an 06 motor in and the only issue they had was drive by wire, which they just swapped their intake on from the old motor. That sound about right?

I can get an 09 motor with 4k on it for $822... but will the 09 motor fit?

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:27 am

The 09 motor does not fit..

The 07 motor is pretty much the same, but there as some difference in the egr, pcv systems that you just leave on.. i would leave the intake on as well and just transfer the throttle body.

On most of the engine swaps performed, you will get a p0300 code, it is a crankshaft position sensor relearn that needs done at the dealer. Even if you swap in the same year engine, you will most likely get this code. You might get another code or two signaling other sensors you need to trade.

But aside from those few things the swap goes in, runs and is cheaper for a lower mile engine. The relearn costs @ 100-140 dollars. So just plan on that, it will run without it, but the light will be on.

dpawl31

Postby dpawl31 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:24 pm

You mean the CEL right? That I can live with, it doesn't need to be inspected till April so I got time on that.

As for the 'differences', the only thing I have to swap is the throttle body correct? Will my existing exhaust fit the same? Transmission bolt right up?

The 06-08 motors have 105hp vs the 04-05 103, correct? Not that that's much, but it's something.

Looks like I'll be finding a way to snag this motor sometime next week.

dpawl31

Postby dpawl31 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:29 pm

Oh, and any ideas why the 07 motor in grade A shape with 30k, is only $400, and the 04 motor in the same condition is $1200? Same yard?

My thoughts are there are more needs for the older motors, so they hike the price and they have a need to get rid of the newer motors before they sit there and rot and/or build up more of them.

I will ask more details when I call again, ie why the motor is there, where the car got hit etc. and I will probably ask him straight out why the motor is cheaper than an 04.

Or is that a bad idea?

He told me if I bought the 04 (for $1200) and it didn't run I can take it back and get my money back, he said he will NOT take back the 07 if it 'doesnt fit' in my 04. Ideas?

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:23 pm

I think you are starting to over think this.

The newer engine goes in, bolts up and runs correctly. Aside from resetting the same sensors regardless of what engine you put in.

the reason for the higher price, is longevity of production, age and demand. "coded" that engine was made 2 years max, making it more rare than the newer engines made for @ 4 years.. The 04-05 cars are getting higher mileage so a low mile option is more rare.. AND the older cars will have failures FIRST because of the higher mileage.. Meaning the 04 people have been replacing engines, then the 05 people will be, and soon the 06 people will. It a fact of age with how many people do not maintain a car..

And example of supply to demand.. ABA vw engines locally sell for $75 for a turn key pull out, with a 3 month warranty, they were made 7 years, and have a low failure rate.. So a lot of good ones are available at the yard (guy told my i could have 10 or more for $50 each).

dpawl31

Postby dpawl31 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:12 pm

**UPDATE**

I tried to get on here a few weeks ago, sent an email to mod because I could not log in with my password etc. Nothing worked, said my username didn't exist. Anyway, didn't seem to get a reply but it's working now.

So! I did buy the $420 motor, 30k miles on it and it's 3 years newer (2007)

Hood is off, the fluids have been drained, electrical that I can find on top is all disconnected.
Radiator fans are out at well for more room.

My new questions are:
*What do I have to disconnect from under the throttle body area
*Can I remove the motor and leave the transmission in place
*Should I/Can I take the throttle body OFF to get the motor out easier? (it seems like it will hit under wipers)

Tips or suggestions? The kid that is helping me owns a motor lift and has done 2 honda swaps and 2 miatas, but he said both are different.

dpawl31

Postby dpawl31 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:13 pm

Ohhh yeah... so they also smashed the valve cover on the new motor - not just the trim, a hole into the real cover. So that's gotta go. I was going to use mine then realized they aren't exactly the same (PCV system)

The gasket part #'s match up - will the bolt holes as well?

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”