Lesson on ground kits??

dhomovich09

Lesson on ground kits??

Postby dhomovich09 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:24 pm

What exactly does a ground kit do for a vehicle? i have read descriptions but they are all way too... broad.. Anyone use/recommend them?

vroom vroom traction action!
'09 V5
'86 GLH

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: Lesson on ground kits??

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:59 pm

its not a bad idea, especially on the dbw design of the aveo.

its kind of on the idea of the more damands you put on the car the more power you need to send back..

the battery ground is a small strap that goes to the body and transmission (for the starter).

think of electricity in what ever metaphor you are comfortable with, like water, lightening etc.. they always want the shortest path.. so running a ground strap directly from the head to the battery negative will improve the spark plug efficiency, more spark so to speak, grounding the throttle body body will make the throttle response improve, improving the body grounds will make the lights brighter... etc etc etc..

the factory makes "sufficient" grounds, but people do claim and see these improvements.

dhomovich09

Postby dhomovich09 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:07 pm

i have found many different brands of kits.. any that are recommended?? Apexi is one that i see a lot..??
'09 V5
'86 GLH

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:02 am

A kit is a kit, its just wiring. you could buy a spool and a junction block and do it yourself. But even the cheap ebay kits would be acceptable in this instance.

need enough connections for: head, throttle body, transmission (starter), front body, a rear body connection (near firewall would be fine). don't double up current grounds, make new grounding points..

dhomovich09

Postby dhomovich09 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:24 pm

alright sounds like a good investment haha thanks!!!
'09 V5
'86 GLH

Denis

Postby Denis » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:09 pm

weste of money, dont bother
2004 Suzuki Swift+S (Adventure Vehicle/Winter Car)
2008 Mitsubishi Galant (Daily driver/Highway Boat)

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:33 pm

actually a person did it on the other forums, and found better throttle response which he attributed to the ground on the throttle body with dbw.. he also said it seemed to mildly improve gas mileage, with his other tool due to the ground on the block for the spark plugs..

i never bought into it before either, but if he is showing results, it makes sense why :

throttle body uses electrical to operate, but is bolted to a plastic manifold. so grounding it completes the circuit better.
and with the cheap ground chassis that daewoo uses, just a better strap to the tranny/engine would improve starting and spark..

maybe not buying a grounding kit, but the $10 for two wires. plus if you install a system upgrading the 10mm body ground and the actual post terminal on the battery might be a good idea as well.

dhomovich09

Postby dhomovich09 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:27 pm

well it sounds to me like a good investment.. but first i have some issues that need to be addressed with the dealer about a misfire thats still present and a bearing noise that changes with my rpm either in gear or out of gear.... but thanks for the info on the ground kits and such i really appreciate it...
'09 V5
'86 GLH

dhomovich09

Postby dhomovich09 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:57 pm

story.
had a friend that had a clean neon, he put ooga horn on it, had to remove due to the ground was grounding everything else out..

question.
i wont fry anything putting this ground kit on my car correct?
'09 V5
'86 GLH

marmite369

Postby marmite369 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:15 pm

i myself have actually done this. ground to the block, throttle, alternator, body work. i honestly can say i noticed no difference overall. other than standing revs were smother. can't say there was a noticeable difference in mpg or increased power. i had done a trial run on mpg before the kit was installed and there is also a local point where we trial run out 1/4mile drags obviously had to get exact speeds but get a rough idea. mpg was just the same drove identical to before the test. and the same with the drags (did several runs both times averaging it out) worked out the same aprox again. so personally i don't believe this works and has no benefits however it does no harm in doing it.

Return to “Engine / Drivetrain”