04-06 Aveo Fog Lights

Reddemonx92

Re: 04-06 Aveo Fog Lights

Postby Reddemonx92 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:16 am

hell yea lol....
if i may ask rabbit wut do you do for a living btw?

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:13 pm

i am a retired car fabricator.

I worked daylight through the week as the head painter for an exotic cars dealership that also had 8 other dealerships under it.
That same shop was the head base of a ferrari racing league which i built/repairs ferrari race cars for.
I also built show cars, drag cars, hill climb cars, low riders etc on the weekends for another shop.

In my retirement I get to spend time with my kids, and i am back in school full time to become a teacher.
That way i will have summers off and build a car or two and hit all the shows over the summer to sell it.

Although I am in high demand to get people through the end of this race/show season. So i guess you can't call me "retired" as much as "freelanced"

Reddemonx92

Postby Reddemonx92 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:57 pm

no wonder your fukin rich lol
i would love to be able to work near a ferrari
but thats cool man you got/had (whatever you wanna call it) a awesome job

thehunterooo

Postby thehunterooo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:28 am

lol yeah, quite an interesting line of work
http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000185677338

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3124271

04AveoLS5204

Postby 04AveoLS5204 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:43 am

Now, I know this thread is a bit outdated, but beats starting a new one....

I have also been thinking about putting the stock set on my car, but putting brighter HELLA H4 lights in the sockets. The only thing I have a concern about is heat. I have heard of other drivers putting brighter bulbs in their cars and getting too hot and melting the assembly. I can understand because Fog lamps are not that bright and there is not much heat.

What I have been wanting to do is to pop out the covers where the fog lights go and try to get a set of HELLA H4 Halogens in there (the rectangular ones). I know I might have to do some cutting, but has anyone done anything like this? Wiring will be easy, as you just put it to a rocker switch.

With that in mind, I was also wondering if anyone has found or uses/used a switch that can fit in the little blank holes right next to the hazard switch. if so, where did you find it and how much???
Pete (04AveoLS5204)
-------------------------
My Cars:
04 Chevrolet Aveo LS
1.6L L4, Automatic
99 Dodge Intrepid
2.7L V6, Automatic

ontarian_frog

Postby ontarian_frog » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:35 am

a regular 896 bulb with fit directly in the stock fog lights and be brighter than the stock 880/881 bulbs that were in it.

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:30 am

04AveoLS5204 wrote:Now, I know this thread is a bit outdated, but beats starting a new one....
I have also been thinking about putting the stock set on my car, but putting brighter HELLA H4 lights in the sockets. The only thing I have a concern about is heat. I have heard of other drivers putting brighter bulbs in their cars and getting too hot and melting the assembly. I can understand because Fog lamps are not that bright and there is not much heat.
What I have been wanting to do is to pop out the covers where the fog lights go and try to get a set of HELLA H4 Halogens in there (the rectangular ones). I know I might have to do some cutting, but has anyone done anything like this? Wiring will be easy, as you just put it to a rocker switch.
With that in mind, I was also wondering if anyone has found or uses/used a switch that can fit in the little blank holes right next to the hazard switch. if so, where did you find it and how much???

H4 is a dual beam headlight bulb identical to a 9003. If your looking at an aftermarket fog light, it's probably an H1 or and H3. If you're using a full aftermarket light assembly you don't have to worry about heat, but personally I don't think it will look as good as the stock ones. Don't use those "high powered" bright 100w bulbs or whatever they are. They are junk. Idk about melting the housing, but I've had them melt my socket on the back where all the wiring comes into. If you really want to use the slot next to the hazard light I would go down to chevy and order another hazard switch and just paint it and pop it in that open blank spot. Personally, if it were me...I'd buy a set of stock fog lights and put HIDs in them. They're fairly cheap for just the fog lights and come in sever tempatures. They also run cooler.
http://www.vvme.com/single-beam-hid-con ... 45_32.html
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:47 pm

as wolf lead to but didnt quite say, brighter is determined by beam pattern as much as light output. Light output is determine by design as much as wattage. Wattage is what gets hot and burns the housing. So you can improve lighting by changing the beam pattern and light output but staying within acceptable wattage to not melt the housing.

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:20 pm

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:as wolf lead to but didnt quite say, brighter is determined by beam pattern as much as light output. Light output is determine by design as much as wattage. Wattage is what gets hot and burns the housing. So you can improve lighting by changing the beam pattern and light output but staying within acceptable wattage to not melt the housing.

How cute, we're finishing each others sentences and stuff. :lol: Just kidding, but yes rabbit is correct. I didn't go that far into it, but another thing you might want to know is almost any square "Hella" foglight is for off-road use only. So, technically you would be breaking the law if you actually used them on the street but it's not really something noticable to most law-enforcement agencies. However, you cannot adjust your beam pattern with the foglight of which you speak...you might end up blinding other drivers.
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

04AveoLS5204

Postby 04AveoLS5204 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:49 am

I guess I should have clarified...

I am wanting to use the stock fog lamp assembly, but mainly for driving lights. I know the HELLA H4 lights are used for off road, but there is a set that they make specifically for driving lights. I had some on my 95 Silverado and they made a world of difference with the low beams. Plus, I like the stock look and the capability of having them switched so I can use them with the high beams. So technically I wouldnt be breaking the law.

Sorry I didnt clarify...lol.

edit: I guess the best way would be to get those rectangular driving lights like I was talking about and carefully cut a hole to fit them in the bottom front bumper. I think I will get that switch (the hazard switch) and paint it like someone mentioned here. It would look awesome.

Anyone else here installed driving lights on their aveo? IF so, how and what kinds did you use?

Pete (04AveoLS5204)
-------------------------
My Cars:
04 Chevrolet Aveo LS
1.6L L4, Automatic
99 Dodge Intrepid
2.7L V6, Automatic

Return to “Exterior”