Coilovers

Including Wheel and Tires

Coil over Orders:

I will order a complete kit with coil overs and have the money.
28%
I will order a complete kit with coil overs but need to save money.
28%
I will order an adaption kit (And buy my own coil overs) and have the money.
3%
I will order an adaption kit (And buy my own coil overs) but need to save money.
No votes
I am interested in coil overs but at a much later date.
17%
I am not interested in coil overs, i have lowering springs.
7%
I am not interested in coil overs, stock height is fine.
17%

Total votes: 29

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: Coilovers

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:07 pm

bad news.. i'll think of something.

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:13 pm

Let me know when you have a kit ready to ship. I'll be ordering one from you ASAP.
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:02 pm

ah yeah the "kit" thats the bad news..

with everything i have done working.. and my original thought of "this looks like a mk3 vw suspension will go right in there" and the comparable product i was competing with, which are xiaogary's very nice coil overs for @ $1200-1300 and require shaving 2-3mm off the spindle.. i came to the realization half way through my week last week. there is no kit. not really.

i've come to the conclusion that so far, everything can be done by the owner, in fact when i reinstalled the rears this time (after my family borrowed me car) i used all the factory aveo suspension mounts. The only thing i can see changing from using the rear this way is it "hangs up" on the original spring hat at full extension, and the helper springs might not be used if you go really low, as they sort of rub the cover on the fuel filler neck pipe. i solved this by adding more zipties to the cover, it looks like wire loom. but it is still close and i am riding on the bump stops. which buy the way is only 1/4 " lower than my ride height on the cut springs../ (so if you want slammed your going to need h&r ultra lows..)

the fronts need @ 4 mm shaved off, the thickness of the metal ear on each side to stay centered, or @ 4mm on the rear to add caster.. i figured to save you guys money you could do this yourself, but i want to check this on my car again tomorrow (i had swapped out spindles i shaved down, havent put the front back in yet, but will grind then tomorrow to see if it is feasible for you..

the only thing i need to make to sell you guys is a bracket for the front sway bar, i have mine tied up out of the way. its going to have new matching adjustable tie-rod ends as a kit. the tie rod ends were a surprise to me (why i tied it up) the factory mount location interferes with the perches going down the threads. so i am going to cut a bracket to move it down and have the sway mount to that with shorter adjustable end links. i am figuring out pricing on this. as i need to piece together a working system, But it will probably be around $125..

so theres the good news too? i just need to confirm the ability to do xiaogarys spindle mod another 2mm easily on your own..

i'll let you know tomorrow, and then i need to see how the setup feels.. acts, and check flex to the chassis.

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:20 pm

Ok, aren't xiaogary's coilovers from like 2 different cars or something?
ImageImageImage

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:29 pm

that i haven't figured out... thought epica or something in the back? and martiz

but you can basically bolt these on for a little over $400 and and go.. or spend more for more performance...

but it makes coil overs a reality for a price most aveo owners can afford.

WOLFMAN AK907

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:06 am

Hmmm, I'll have to decide what to run now.
ImageImageImage

one_man_jam

Postby one_man_jam » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:45 am

when you have them fully extended like in your picture, is that higher than stock height?
we shouldn't have issues if thats the case since most of us want to go lower anyways :D

so we're only going to need the bracket for the front sway bar. that doesn't sound too bad if were able to do everything you mentioned with the shaving a few mm's here and there.

the parts that do need the 4mm or so of shaving, is that part of the coilover or the mounting location?
UR Canada goodies installed and available here http://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=catalog/27
ImageImage

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:49 am

its just the top of the spindle, it has two raised areas where the bolts go through. those need shave down. i will take picture today to explain.

where my axle was hanging with no springs and no shocks bolted up, i think that picture is maybe 1" higher than that. so yeah, higher tham stock. by a lot. the only way it is an issue is if you get it put on a lift and it hangs, the springs will "bang" putting it back on the ground... because they rub past that as they swing out with the axle.

AveoSwagg09

Postby AveoSwagg09 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:25 pm

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:the fronts need @ 4 mm shaved off, the thickness of the metal ear on each side to stay centered, or @ 4mm on the rear to add caster..

Caster? would it affect a camber bolt?

one_man_jam

Postby one_man_jam » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:30 pm

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:its just the top of the spindle, it has two raised areas where the bolts go through. those need shave down. i will take picture today to explain.

where my axle was hanging with no springs and no shocks bolted up, i think that picture is maybe 1" higher than that. so yeah, higher tham stock. by a lot. the only way it is an issue is if you get it put on a lift and it hangs, the springs will "bang" putting it back on the ground... because they rub past that as they swing out with the axle.

oh ok thanks :D i'm sure the pictures will help a lot.
so no lifts that leave your ish hanging :lol:

UR Canada goodies installed and available here http://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=catalog/27
ImageImage

Return to “Brakes / Suspension”