Strut Bar

Including Wheel and Tires
Reddemonx92

Strut Bar

Postby Reddemonx92 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:10 am

I was wonderin if anyone has thought of making your own strut bar? If so is it worthwhile to try and make one urself or just wait?

WOLFMAN AK907

Re: Strut Bar

Postby WOLFMAN AK907 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:28 am

Just doesn't seem cost-effective considering they already offer them.
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
ImageImageImage

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Tue May 11, 2010 10:49 am

an upper strut bar? iam making my own because i want 4 point. This is not really an option for most people though.

Reddemonx92

Postby Reddemonx92 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:05 pm

Yea but will making your own really cost the same as buying the ultra racing one?
And is there a noticable difference between 2point and 4 point bars?

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Tue May 11, 2010 10:00 pm

for me it would cost like $40 in materials and 3-4 hours of time..

actually, more time looking at options for anchor points and such online..

the 4 point to 2 point debate isnt about feeling a difference, physics preaches triangulation for strength long term..

making a 4 point bar basically makes an X so two triangles within the brace mounting points..

Reddemonx92

Postby Reddemonx92 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:12 am

Oh ok so for a daily driver what do you recommend? I'm not gonna push the car to its limits just want better handling/suspension. Ima buy your coilovers too when i get more money rabbit.

And one more question sorry,
why is the bars connected next to the strut tower? arent some bars connected straight to the strut instead of the holes next to it like ours?

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed May 12, 2010 9:40 am

that design is mostly used on front shock type struts, the ones that do not turn with the spindle.. even though i can't account for every car/strut bar combination to verify that 100%.

another thing i suspect its on the towers because we have a floating suspension. if you bolt it to the struts, then the force of the bar on the strut on the outside of the radius could push it out of its mount.

the fact they are mot directly tying the struts together isnt a big loss, keeping the strut towers from moving is what is important with the brace, for body roll. this can obviouly be achieved by directly tying the struts together like you said, or indirectly by tying the towers together.

in a single point mounting system, i would want the struts tied together, in a strut tower mounting system i would want at least 2 points on each side with decently designed triangulation.

Reddemonx92

Postby Reddemonx92 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Oh ok thanks for clarifying. Not sure wether to make my own 2 point bar like u are or buying the ultra racing one. I believe the ultra racing has to hold up pretty well.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed May 12, 2010 8:20 pm

the bar is not the problem. its the attachment point, a single attachment point in sheet metal, regardlass of how thick or many layers can shear off, or rip the metal with flex.. anyone you ripped a piece off a car instead of undoing the last bolt understands one extreme of this..

most people will never notice the difference not having the extra mounting point. but i drive hard and lots of miles i would hate for the bar to twist out and rip my strut tower in 50k miles.. not that i will happen, but if it more likely with a single mount..

Reddemonx92

Postby Reddemonx92 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:25 am

Oh ok I dont think i drive that hard considering on regular roads i only go max of 60 lol....

Return to “Brakes / Suspension”