turning rotors?

Including Wheel and Tires
one_man_jam

turning rotors?

Postby one_man_jam » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:40 am

so i bought myself some new brake pads (hawk hps pads :D ) and i was wondering if i should have my rotors turned or resurfaced when i swap them for the old ones??? after a bit of reading this is usually done if they are warped or i experience vibrating when stopping or something like that. i do not experience any of these symptoms so should the brake pad swap be just fine by itself.

i'm at 53k by the way and this would be my first brake pad exchange. my brakes still have plenty of bite, but i would prefer the performance benefits that these hawk pads offer over oem

any thoughts???

UR Canada goodies installed and available here http://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=catalog/27
ImageImage

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: turning rotors?

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:16 pm

your new pads are perfectly flat, your rotors might not be, as the pads wear they might not wear completely evenly, or cut grooves etc.

you can throw them on, it might be ok, but look at the rotors first. another thing to consider is cost and thickness. if the cut them close to the replacement thickness, they will run hotter and probably warp. then the cost, some places around here stopped charging the $5-10 bucks it used to be an charge half the cost of new rotors.. of what they would charge you for rotors..

i would put on new cheaper rotors as opposed to cutting them..

one_man_jam

Postby one_man_jam » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:54 am

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:your new pads are perfectly flat, your rotors might not be, as the pads wear they might not wear completely evenly, or cut grooves etc.

you can throw them on, it might be ok, but look at the rotors first. another thing to consider is cost and thickness. if the cut them close to the replacement thickness, they will run hotter and probably warp. then the cost, some places around here stopped charging the $5-10 bucks it used to be an charge half the cost of new rotors.. of what they would charge you for rotors..

i would put on new cheaper rotors as opposed to cutting them..

hmm good to know. the more i read about it the more i am thinking of just saving up for some replacement rotors as well and swap everything out at the same time. i should be ok to run the next couple of events and the rest of this summer, but i wouldn't want to push it any past that and i should have the money for some slotted rotors or something like that.

UR Canada goodies installed and available here http://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=catalog/27
ImageImage

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:09 am

slotted and cross drilled rotors dont necessarily mean better braking, the cross drills vents heat to help prevent brake fade, and the slots "deglaze" the pad. The slots actually "cut" the pad making both wear faster..

Heat = friction brakes work on friction. If you want to be able to stop better, the pad choice is most important. Or bigger rotors. The cross drilled, slotted rotors prevent failure of excessive time spent driving/braking hard.

Pontiac1976

Postby Pontiac1976 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:44 pm

Slotted and cross drilled rotors dont last good in the winter with salt & snow they rust faster. A reg rotor will last longer in the winter & salt then Slotted and cross drilled rotors .
ImagePONTIAC1976

PONTIAC
The Mark of a Great Car

PONTIAC
The Mark of a Great Car

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3101276

one_man_jam

Postby one_man_jam » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:23 pm

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:slotted and cross drilled rotors dont necessarily mean better braking, the cross drills vents heat to help prevent brake fade, and the slots "deglaze" the pad. The slots actually "cut" the pad making both wear faster..

Heat = friction brakes work on friction. If you want to be able to stop better, the pad choice is most important. Or bigger rotors. The cross drilled, slotted rotors prevent failure of excessive time spent driving/braking hard.

that makes sense about the faster wear on the pads . maybe just oem replacement would be the best way for me to go and i only autox maybe once a month. didn't you have a big brake kit in the works or planned for the future or something like that rabbit??

Pontiac1976 wrote:Slotted and cross drilled rotors dont last good in the winter with salt & snow they rust faster. A reg rotor will last longer in the winter & salt then Slotted and cross drilled rotors .

ya i took that into consideration since i do see snow in the winter months, which is why i was thinking going with the slotted rotors. i'm rethinking this all over again and might just go with the oem replcement when i change everything out. :)
ImageImage

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:53 am

i am the rear disc brakes will work out, with some design.. the fronts i did a preliminary test fit and need to "rework" the calipers.. or find a different offset hat rotor to use. But thats part of the process... the coil overs are a lot closer than i originally thought when i came up with the idea..

one_man_jam

Postby one_man_jam » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:37 pm

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:i am the rear disc brakes will work out, with some design.. the fronts i did a preliminary test fit and need to "rework" the calipers.. or find a different offset hat rotor to use. But thats part of the process... the coil overs are a lot closer than i originally thought when i came up with the idea..

wow i'm jealous i don't have the know how or tools to do what it is your doing :D
looking forward to seeing the final outcomes with everything for sure
ImageImage

AveoSwagg09

Postby AveoSwagg09 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:06 pm

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:i am the rear disc brakes will work out, with some design.. the fronts i did a preliminary test fit and need to "rework" the calipers.. or find a different offset hat rotor to use. But thats part of the process... the coil overs are a lot closer than i originally thought when i came up with the idea..

Wondering if anyone has heard of progress with the Big Brake Kit?

NYChevoo

Postby NYChevoo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:24 pm

This is going to make me sound like a dumbass but I've now got 123k on the car and I've never changed the rotors. I've just been changing the front pads, and rear shoes when needed. The car has been stopping fine its whole life. No crashes yet kids! Ok, so I've been cheap!

He drives like a man on his way home from work!
00 Jeep Grand Cherokee
02 Chevy Suburban Z71
04 Aveo Sedan (Silver)
07 Aveo Hatchback (Active Red)
85 Mercedes 300SD

Return to “Brakes / Suspension”