So you want coilovers on your car?

Including Wheel and Tires
Petrified.Rabbit

Re: So you want coilovers on your car?

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:45 am

i JUST did the swap.. i wanted to see what it would give me. honestly thought i wouldnt be able to run them because of how short they are.. but had a set sitting here.

Adjusted ALL the way up to the tip top (where the plate between the helper and spring is still on the strut body, just barely) and the car sits just lower than the rokkor mk2 struts did all the way down.

i know i have lost of suspension travel now, but the springs on these coilovers are a little more bouncy, (probably brand and weighted for a mk1) so i will need to check the specs on rokkor and or raceland rear springs, i think they are stiffer.

Reddemonx92

Postby Reddemonx92 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:17 pm

Thats cool. Keep posted on here

AveoSwagg09

Postby AveoSwagg09 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:07 pm

i finally got around to installing my coilovers a month ago. no real problems so far. the kit worked fine but i have some questions about my coils.

1. im tryin to get a set of custom springs does anyone know where i can buy a good custom set?

2. Where do i go to get my struts revalved to match better?

3. i have an odd squeaky noise from the RR wheel when i hit dips or creap over speed bumps any ideas on the reason? Ive done some research and think my corner balance might be off making the top mount lift from the spring but idk much about suspensions or where to take it and get the problem solved.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:26 pm

not sure about the value of revalving the coil shock, it would need cut and such. this is where if you wanted better coilovers, you could have picked a set with custom valving. not to sound harsh, but as i have stated the rokkor and such are just entry level. they ride as well on the aveo as they do on a vw. but better is out there, for the cost of modifying those you could just buy valve adjustable coil overs.. are resell them to recoup money.

the springs are available from jegs and summit, you need a length, diameter, and # you want. but again your fine tuning your suspension, is money you could put toward better coilovers.

Describe the noise a little better, did you add the washer like i noted (after reds experience)? if not the strut rod might be rubbing on the inner chassis. if so then it should have been tight to the mount, or its just a slightly worn part that has been amplified by the new ride height. (rear beam bushings come to mind). did you check clearance on any other parts for your set ride height? like is is scrapping the exhaust..

its good to see that you want more/better, i wish we could have discussed your outcome a iittle more to help you in your shopping to get exactly what you were after, and not just acceptable and low.

Reddemonx92

Postby Reddemonx92 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:45 pm

I guess I have some new information on this rabbit.

After i noticed that the rod went through into my trunk like the pic i sent you, I grabbed the black strut cover from the front. That little circle plastic piece that covers the front strut. I cut out the excess part of it and i stuck it to the top of the rear shock coilover. Wish i took a picture so you can see what im talking about. But now I dont have that noise and it doesnt go into my bumper anymore lol. Its kind of like putting a umbrella shaped cover on the top of the coilover.
Hope this helps.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:53 pm

Essentially you put a spacer between the shock mount and body?

Reddemonx92

Postby Reddemonx92 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Pretty much. The spacer just had to be big enough to fit on top of the shock and doesnt allow the shock to continue going into the bumper giving me the metal rattling noise on bumps. I still have to do the same thing to the other side so ill probably snap a picture then so people could see.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:16 pm

take lot of pictures because i dont have that issue, and want to see how your assembled..

AveoSwagg09

Postby AveoSwagg09 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:47 am

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:not sure about the value of revalving the coil shock, it would need cut and such. this is where if you wanted better coilovers, you could have picked a set with custom valving. not to sound harsh, but as i have stated the rokkor and such are just entry level. they ride as well on the aveo as they do on a vw. but better is out there, for the cost of modifying those you could just buy valve adjustable coil overs.. are resell them to recoup money.

the springs are available from jegs and summit, you need a length, diameter, and # you want. but again your fine tuning your suspension, is money you could put toward better coilovers.

Describe the noise a little better, did you add the washer like i noted (after reds experience)? if not the strut rod might be rubbing on the inner chassis. if so then it should have been tight to the mount, or its just a slightly worn part that has been amplified by the new ride height. (rear beam bushings come to mind). did you check clearance on any other parts for your set ride height? like is is scrapping the exhaust..

its good to see that you want more/better, i wish we could have discussed your outcome a iittle more to help you in your shopping to get exactly what you were after, and not just acceptable and low.

At first i just wanted low but i wanted to do autox later when time was more free.

I quieried you before i bought my coilovers rabbit. And Well i have a set of koni adjustable coils which work fine except vs. speedbumbs and that noise i mentioned.

I may sell those depending on spring rate i choose (speaking of i need to call koni and ask what their spring rate is) and get a set of BC racing coils for the full stroke and they use Swift coils now from what i hear. Im thinking i want a more linear spring rate with an adjuster for small bumps but im not sure yet.

I used the washer and they are installed fine its just a high pitched squeak but it coincides with the movement of the rear end and only happens on speedbumps and driveways and such or when i have a passenger in the rear it happens more frequently. Bushings sound logical but it sounds more springy if that makes sense?

Any help is appreciated thatnks.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:42 pm

so your running koni coilovers? that makes a big difference versus the rokkor/raceland. You can send konis out to be rebuild and such, unlike the others. BUT it is still a cost option. If they are adjustable, then you should be able to find a sweet spot you like.

I still say the squeak could be bushings, might be the rear beam pivot bushing, now that the beam is rotated up higher. you might have a rusty spot of something rubbing past itself. Depending on how low you are as well.

if the passenger make it more frequent, check that you are not rubbing on the fuel filler plastic? AND MAKE ABSOLUTE SURE A BRAKE LINE ISNT RUBBNG SOMEWHERE! i dont see how it would be, but it might.. anything could happen.

which konis do you have, i will look into specs for you.

Return to “Brakes / Suspension”