So you want coilovers on your car?

Including Wheel and Tires
AveoSwagg09

Re: So you want coilovers on your car?

Postby AveoSwagg09 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:40 pm

Its just the koni coilovers for Mk3 Jetta. idk much beyond that. i wanna send them to get rebuilt

http://www.koniracing.com/shopservices.html

or rebuild myself looks like i can drop in a fresh (koni sport yellow) cartridge just dont know where to get one.

But can i swap back to stock suspension setup with just some washers for spacing in the front if i send them?

My drop isn't very aggressive in the rear so i dont think its rubbing (i heard enough of that when i had my 18" wheels on eibachs and pre-rolled fenders :D)

Although i will be checking clearances tomorrow but if it is the bushings, is there a polyurethane alternative (doubting it)? because id really like to upgrade to poly if not how do i change the bushings?

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:23 am

that noise might also be the adjuster hitting the inside of the box rail in the back.. did you cut access holes for adjustment? (not something i got into explaining for you guys since no one else had done adjustable coils).

it might be clicking with the compressions with the longer adjuster top.. the mount gives enough deflection to do that.

AveoSwagg09

Postby AveoSwagg09 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:40 am

ill check this after noon but no i didnt drill any holes for the adjusters i just kinda used washers to make the mount sit the same distance below the thread as stock. more of a temporary thing til i had time to make the holes.

How much bigger should i make the holes to allow for suspension movement without noise?

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:06 pm

Not bigger, you need to drill a hole in the upper metal of the box channel (which would allow you to turn the adjuster in the trunk while installed)

Make sense?

AveoSwagg09

Postby AveoSwagg09 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:Not bigger, you need to drill a hole in the upper metal of the box channel (which would allow you to turn the adjuster in the trunk while installed)

Make sense?

Yes but where the adjuster threads poke through should the hole be a bit larger in diameter for movement or just be big enough to fit through? i found i am rubbing on the RR tire so i need to get some 5-10mm spacers for the rear hopefully noise problem will be solved after. I have a few pics of the car now but i think im going to raise the front 1/2in and lower the rears 1in or so after i get the spacers.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:55 pm

i would make the hole the size you need for the tool to get in there.. 1" circle at minimum for deflection.

car looks good :)

AveoSwagg09

Postby AveoSwagg09 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:54 pm

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:i would make the hole the size you need for the tool to get in there.. 1" circle at minimum for deflection.

Could you explain more about the 1in for deflection?

Reddemonx92

Postby Reddemonx92 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:04 pm

Nice drop. I have to take new pics of my car dropped lol. I hope to have pics of the coils to go with it rabbit. Just havent had time to do any work to it yet

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:41 am

AveoSwagg09 wrote:
Petrified.Rabbit wrote:i would make the hole the size you need for the tool to get in there.. 1" circle at minimum for deflection.

Could you explain more about the 1in for deflection?

Without writing a book with illustrations:

the axle pivots on a radius, whose length is determined by the axle pivot bolt on the front of the axle. The shock end on the axle swings on that radius, as it compresses, the shock bottom swings backward and forward in relation to the car. The upper mount is the "fixed" point of the line of the shock. So the shock pivots in the mount as to moves with the axle (reason its rubber and not hard mounted). Therefore, any part of the shock above the shock mount moves in correlation to the movement of the bottom of the shock. The longer the upper part of the shock (adjustable shocks are usually 1" or more compared to non adjustable) then it will swing..

now comes the math and diagrams which i hope to avoid.

AveoSwagg09

Postby AveoSwagg09 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:30 pm

i understand. So basically the top mount acts as a somewhat seesaw effect?

Return to “Brakes / Suspension”