Coil Overs VS Springs and Shocks

Including Wheel and Tires
Twitch008

Coil Overs VS Springs and Shocks

Postby Twitch008 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:53 pm

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? I'm trying to decide between replacing shocks and struts separately or just going with Rabbit's coil over conversion. (The idea of VW coil overs on my aveo makes me want to happy dance)

Which provides better handling? Also, if you do coil overs can you cut the lower spring seats off the rear?

The 1.5" drop from the H&R springs would be good for me. (can coil overs be adjusted to this height?)

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: Coil Overs VS Springs and Shocks

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:01 am

Oem shock with lower springs lower the car, perferm better than the oem springs but are dampened like stock. This gives a comfortable ride with better geometry and slightly better looks

upgrading the shocks along with the springs gives a better match of the springs to the dampening (not a true match unless a "cup kit" which is not available for the aveo anyhow. But the better shocks tend to have the same % raise in dampening as the performance spring rate change from stock

the spring shock combo is not typically adjustable in either height or dampening. But dampening shock are out there for other cars.

Coilovers on the other hand are infinitely adjustable in height. For instance if you are looking for a 1.5" drop (you think) that's what you get with springs. But with coilovers you can adjust. If you decide 1.5" is too much you can raise it to 1.49" or 1.3" or anywhere you want it. Where as if you think 1.5" is not enough. You can go down a little more. Or a lot more. And if you keep going down and you rub you just raise it Back to where you don't. Simple..

Typically coilover are expensive to people are priced out of them but the coilovers I fit were designed more as a height adjustable cup kit than fully adjustable coilovers. So pricing is more comparable than ever.

So if you for what you spend: have $200-250 in just springs. $350-450 into springs and kyb gr2 shocks, or $425+ into coilovers, $425 to be basic like what I have but you could always buy $2000 kw coilovers. So I put a + there. ( more money = more adjustablity or lower with stock ride, but just the lengths will get most of you as low as you would want to go).

Twitch008

Postby Twitch008 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:52 pm

Any recommendations on shock brands?

Still undecided on which I'll do, but coilovers seem like they may end up being a hassle in the long run. and besides I can get parts at cost from work so price isn't that big of an issue for me.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:30 pm

The only shocks available for the aveo are: Oem, kyb gr2 and a monroe which is probably just a relabelled oem

none of these are considered an upgrade for any car, but the kyb gr2 is valves differently than oem. That makes the the only "upgraded" shock for an aveo.

Look at your pricing if you buy lowering spring and shocks you will spend at least $400 shipped and only get marginally better performance over the oem shocks (not really even a noticable improvement unless
your current suspension is blown). For the same price you can have better, to
me that is not an option get the best for your money. Spend slightly more and get weitecs or something and have adjustable dampening as well to be able to fine tune your height and ride comfort in 20
minutes.

But it's up to you. If I was going to persuede you it is coilovers all the way. I have had lowering springs and kybs on other cars. And they road fine, sure. But they are not like an h&r cup kit or bilstiens in quality.

These coilovers don't automatically make the ride better than a matchEd quality shock and spring kit. But there are no matched quality shock and spring for the aveo. So even the cheap coilovers are an improvement over any spring and kyb. But better coilovers would still yeild a better ride!

Return to “Brakes / Suspension”