time for a brake job

Including Wheel and Tires
Denis

time for a brake job

Postby Denis » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:52 pm

so i had my 04 aveo with 65 000km inspected for NY state, and they told me the inside pads are very close to being not safe, now i know my car and i know it doesnt have the same pedal feel and stoping power as it did when it was new but i can still lock up my wheels on dry pavement. also the hand break needs to be pulled higher to have the same effect (i relate that to some drifting i did every winter for 6 years now LOL)

but before winter comes i want to replace the pads and roters and change the brake fluid, and tighten up the hand break.

any one do this to their car? how much should i expect to spend on parts? any sugestions on wat parts i should get?

2004 Suzuki Swift+S (Adventure Vehicle/Winter Car)
2008 Mitsubishi Galant (Daily driver/Highway Boat)

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: time for a brake job

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:16 pm

its relatively easy, but are you on a tight budget? you should replace pads and rotors together.

basic Pads can be had for like $20 a set while rotors are like $30 each, more with brands / "quality" levels
(check ebay or rock auto for better?)

so your looking at less than $100 in parts if you do the sliders/hardware with it.

its two bolts once the wheel is off to pull the caliper then "pry" the brake pads off or out.. one that is done, you take two more bolts out for the carrier (bracket that holds the caliper and pads together). The you remove the set screw and take off the rotor.. reassemble in reverse order.

Denis

Postby Denis » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:50 pm

Petrified.Rabbit wrote:its relatively easy, but are you on a tight budget? you should replace pads and rotors together.

basic Pads can be had for like $20 a set while rotors are like $30 each, more with brands / "quality" levels
(check ebay or rock auto for better?)

so your looking at less than $100 in parts if you do the sliders/hardware with it.

its two bolts once the wheel is off to pull the caliper then "pry" the brake pads off or out.. one that is done, you take two more bolts out for the carrier (bracket that holds the caliper and pads together). The you remove the set screw and take off the rotor.. reassemble in reverse order.

i can do all the work my self thats not a prob, yes money is tight but i will be doing both pads and rotors, i dont want drilled or sloted rotors so the basic ones are fine, now is there a big dif between basic pads and the Brand Name ones?
2004 Suzuki Swift+S (Adventure Vehicle/Winter Car)
2008 Mitsubishi Galant (Daily driver/Highway Boat)

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:36 pm

as far as i am concerned, the only difference is just the warranty and price, often they are even the same manufacturer. but ask to see both and compare them yourself first to be sure.

Return to “Brakes / Suspension”