Rear axle bushings

Including Wheel and Tires
wynditup

Rear axle bushings

Postby wynditup » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:31 pm

I have a 2007 Aveo5 with just under 22,000 miles on it and the rear axle (for want of a better term) bushing on the passenger side is giving symptoms of failing. That is if I hit a bump the wrong way there is a distinctly nasty mechanical knock which cannot be attributed to a cracked spring or broken shock. Pushing through a left hand corner gives the distinct impression that the rear right wheel is jumping and possibly even loose, which it is not. My question is has anybody come across a supplier for the bushings since I understand that as far as GM is concerned the bushings and the rear axle are one piece, which makes one failed bushing a remarkably expensive repair.

Petrified.Rabbit

Re: Rear axle bushings

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:21 pm

I know a few members have run into this but I'm not sure what solution has come from it? Maybe a daewoo or other parts #?

kamikaze

Postby kamikaze » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:31 pm

I think it's called the rear baring or baring hub.

22k and 3years old I think you will still have a worrenty. When I got mine the minimum was 75k or 5 years.

If I'm correct the rear only haves springs, wheel baring and drum brakes.

When you have it in the are and spind the tire or just driving do you hear like a metal scraping noise?
If you do it most liky will be the baring.

If it wabbles when you turn it could be the rim is bent or the studs are broken/loose.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:44 pm

he is talking about the bushing that pivots the beam, not just the wheel..

wynditup

Postby wynditup » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:17 pm

Yes sad to say its the bushings that hold the trailing assembly to the chassis that are the problem. The dealer quotes around $500 for the assembly. Sub chassis bushings I have bought for other vehicles in the past are more in the $50 area. The fascinating piece is that in the current online european workshop manual they still list the special tools and the procedure for pressing out and refitting them. So I guess I will have to try finding a european supplier and see if they do stock them.

kamikaze

Postby kamikaze » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:55 pm

Ask if they have it at Autozone. You just need to put the money down and you can rent it for a mounth(you have to check with them about that.) When you return it you get your full money back.

NYChevoo

Postby NYChevoo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:58 am

Heres the link to gmpartsdirect.com rear suspension page of the catalog. Hope this helps.
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm
rearsuspension.gif
(7.03 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
He drives like a man on his way home from work!
00 Jeep Grand Cherokee
02 Chevy Suburban Z71
04 Aveo Sedan (Silver)
07 Aveo Hatchback (Active Red)
85 Mercedes 300SD

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:50 am

F Norton at gmpartsdirect is a pretty thorough guy, i think if its available as #3 there he can locate one for you.

if not you could try filling them with urethane like engine mounts,,

wynditup

Postby wynditup » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:00 am

Thank you for the information I will try GMpartsdirect to see if they can locate just the bushings. The official GM stance is that the bushing #3 is part of the assembly #2 which makes it a $500 bushing. It is surprising the aftermarket groups arent all over this sort of thing, they could definitely cleanup on a supply line.

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:42 am

If it has it's own number it should be able to be ordered separately.

The arrows just means if you buy #2 that the other parts are included in the assembly.

Return to “Brakes / Suspension”