100000 MILES AND DOING GREAT!

Non-technical discussions relating to the Chevrolet Aveo and sister models (Daewoo Kalos, Daewoo Gentra, Pontiac G3, Pontiac Wave, Suzuki Swift+, Holden Barina and Chevrolet Lova).
NYChevoo

Re: 100000 MILES AND DOING GREAT!

Postby NYChevoo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:01 am

Petrified Rabbit sometimes I reach a point where I just don't feel like doing it. Now bearing in mind that my garage is pretty well equipped with air compressor and an array of air tools, as well as hand tools, there are times when I spend my time helping other friends with basic maintenance items, exhaust systems, oil changes and tune-ups, and so on. I think I spend more time working on my friends cars than on my own. Right before my car went into the garage I had just done brakes all the way around on my friend Pauls Ford Explorer. I got my car done and out of the garage, and tomorrow am pulling in the wifes Aveo hatch for brakes. I think for me at the age of 46 I'm just getting tired of doing stuff myself. There are days I have to force myself to do anything on the cars. In winter my garage drops in temp to around 40 degrees give or take and eventhough its part of the house I just dont feel like being cold, and on a cement floor underneath anything. I"m not sure why I have lost my zeal for working on my own stuff.

He drives like a man on his way home from work!
00 Jeep Grand Cherokee
02 Chevy Suburban Z71
04 Aveo Sedan (Silver)
07 Aveo Hatchback (Active Red)
85 Mercedes 300SD

NYChevoo

Postby NYChevoo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:17 am

Ok now at this point I'm posting this just for myself as sort of a log as to whats going on with my Aveo as she ages. Now at 115326 miles and recently had some problems with my blower motor. Post all that in the interior section previously. Did however clock 33 mpg which is 3 mpg more than I typically get on the car. I wonder if running 93 octane had anything to do with that? Anyway, as I said about my blower motor, in cabin air filter changed, along with blower fan resistor which was showing signs of corrosion. First couple of days same blower problem persisted, but then seem to clear up and is functioning just fine on all speed settings. Now a new problem has reared its ugly head. My a/c stopped working. Probable leak in a/c lines of freon, as 2 months before had system charged. Noticed also that compressor isnt kicking on either and wondering if thats due to the low freon level or also due to the fact that a while back the plug to the compressor had to be resoldered. Luckily when they charged the a/c system the mechanic purposely charged it with dye included to see where he leak if any exists. Other than that issue, the Aveo is doing just fine, and running amazingly. Still love my little car and hope to break 200K before the end of 2010.
00 Jeep Grand Cherokee
02 Chevy Suburban Z71
04 Aveo Sedan (Silver)
85 Mercedes 300SD

Petrified.Rabbit

Postby Petrified.Rabbit » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:20 am

you could jump or unplug (try both) the pressure switch on the line beside the passenger strut tower, and if the system kicks on, and stays on, buy a $10 bottle on 134A at advances or pepboys, and "top off" the system. It would probably buy you enough time unless there is really a leak. (i'm thinking your Orings are dried out, leaking out, so buy a bottle with oring conditioner)...

10 bucks and 30 minutes, you could have it fixed your self if that is the problem.

NYChevoo

UPDATED: 149000 MILES AND DOING GREAT!

Postby NYChevoo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:24 pm

Sorry I havent posted in quite a while. Work has been incredibly busy, the spring, summer and fall have flown by and we are on the verge of winter now. My air conditioning issue just came down to me buying the charging hose which has a built in pressure gauge at Advanced Auto Parts for $40.00 and a $16.00 can of synthetic R134a with O-ring conditioner in it and it lasted all summer long and into the fall. I never did end up breaking 200K miles like I had hoped but am getting close now as I have 149,651 miles on the odometer. I definitely feel like I'll hit 200k now. Some minor issue has arisen in the form of a slow water pump leak so every now and then I have to add coolant. Will I get this fixed now? Probably not. I'll get it done with the next timing belt which I am already overdue for according to maintenance spec. Let me see. The last one I did was at 91000 miles and by my calculations if I wait like I did last time I'm not due for another one until 180000 miles. The Aveo is still running great and the transmission still shifts flawlessly. I'm not sure what I did that my car has been this trouble free its whole life so far but what the hell. I wont look a gift horse in the mouth. Once again I did front brakes and rotors as well as rear shoes at this time as well. I still have been religious about doing my oil changes every 3000 miles or as close to it as possible. I'm also on a new set of tires. I have taken off the extremely worn BF Goodrich Traction T/A's and replaced them with the BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sports as the Traction T/A's are not longer made. I'm still running the 195's size tires. Overall I still have to say that the car has been amazing and now I'll be very sad when the time comes that the motor dies and I need a new car.
00 Jeep Grand Cherokee
02 Chevy Suburban Z71
04 Aveo Sedan (Silver)
85 Mercedes 300SD

Admin1
Site Admin

Postby Admin1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:36 pm

test

Return to “General Discussion”