•  

Thread: My first car is a what?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

My first car is a what?

On paper it seemed like a really good deal; 2000€ for a 2008 T250 hatch with 180Mm on the clock that was cheap to register, insure and run.
      Out of mostly necessity I took it, and it was only afterwards I found out that it had basically no service history and it's built for Korean or US climates, not the arctic.
      Nevertheless, after almost two years and tripling my initial investment, it's still going. Not strong, persay, but it's doing its best while definitely being out of its depth.

Name:  photo_2022-12-09_22-19-28.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  207.3 KB

I immediately had all the fluids done and an engine heater installed because -30°c is torture to almost any car. The first winter up in the deep arctic wasn't kind on it though, and it protested by misfiring profusely (possibly as a result of intake seals shrinking in the cold and developing vacuum leaks) and freezing the guide pins on the front calipers which burned a wheel bearing.

The following summer it received some much needed care with half overdue and half preventative maintenance, and last winter it did manage perfectly if not for a collision with wildlife that destroyed the original bumper, messed up the front suspension and scarred the lower body. The scars, however, revealed some masterful snot-seam and bondo work.

Name:  2023-08-03-18-12-17-703.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  305.2 KB

So that's pretty much how it sits right now. The suspension and cosmetic damage was repaired this week so it runs and drives straight, but there's a lot to be done. Namely, bodywork on the side skirts, thorough engine service before hitting 200Mm including compression and leakdown test, boroscoping the cylinders, timing chain job and valve adjustement, rebuilding the intake manifold, flushing the engine, dropping the oil pan and possibly rod bearings, full cooling system rebuild, full suspension rebuild, clutch job (squeaking throwout bearing), rust-proofing the entire chassis, winterizing the engine bay, installing several LED AUX lights and upgrading the audio system.

Name:  rn_image_picker_lib_temp_82304263-e9fd-497f-ba23-bf35974d0cd5.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  317.6 KB

The question is then, why? Because it's a cute car. It's a spent, mostly neglected, ex-pizza slingshot that I want to do right by. And the tiny engine does sound fun (it sounded even better when it had an exhaust leak though) and it barely sips any fuel. And it's dead simple to work on, the engine bay has literally more room in it than a modern 5 series trunk and the only unnecessary feature it has is EGR. It's a NA, port injected, chain driven manual from this century that doesn't need a monthly subscription to drive. The only thing it's missing is a hydraulic valvetrain.

So, for the foreseeable future, it's going to be my daily. I just hope the cylinders aren't scoured.

Last edited by toastsergal; 10-16-2023 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added images

Thanks
      Welcome to the forum! Great car, I have a 2008 that I got brand new and I will always keep it. The red colour looks really nice

V. S. M.
      2008 Chevrolet Aveo
      2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6