•  

Thread: 2004 Aveo won't start

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2004 Aveo won't start

I have a 2004 Aveo with 80,000 km, I bought it used at 60,000 km. I haven't had any major problems with it until now.

Today I drove home fine and pulled over. I shifted into park and the engine didn't sound right (like weak). All was fine during the drive. The change occurred sometime as I braked or shifted into park. I turned the key off and tried to start it again. It turns but it won't start.

I've tried wiggling the shifter. Also tried pressing the gas while cranking. I do smell gas.

Any ideas what the problem is? Thank you. I don't know a lot about cars obviously.

Thanks
      I had 10 minutes of daylight to look at it today. The timing belt is there. Looked at a few fuses. They look fine to me. And yes I have at least half a tank of gas.

Edit: nevermind I was looking at some other belt. I assume my timing belt is dead?
      Last edited by aveo204; 11-14-2016 at 02:12 AM.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by aveo204 View Post
      .... I don't know a lot about cars obviously.
      Do you have tools, and are you able (and willing) to DIY? If not, it makes no sense to ask for ideas (of which there are many), because you'll need to have it towed to a shop anyway for actual diagnosis and repair. And the tech won't want to know what someone on a forum thinks the problem could be.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Do you have tools, and are you able (and willing) to DIY? If not, it makes no sense to ask for ideas (of which there are many), because you'll need to have it towed to a shop anyway for actual diagnosis and repair. And the tech won't want to know what someone on a forum thinks the problem could be.
      I have basic tools and can do some diy. And this forum isn't for pros only. I was asking for ideas what the problem could be to know what to expect if I take it to a garage or if I could fix it myself even better.

Thanks
      First, check the timing belt by removing the top of the timing cover - black plastic piece held in by a few 10 mm bolts, top of the engine passenger side. If the belt is in place and snug, have a helper crank while you watch to make sure it's turning - just a few seconds is enough of a look. Start there and post back the results of that.

Thanks
      I partly removed that cover to see the timing belt but not all of it. It doesn't move while trying to start.

Thanks
      I partly removed that cover to see the timing belt but not all of it. It doesn't move while trying to start.
      I think you're saying the engine is turning over (cranking), but the timing belt is not moving. If that's correct, then something in the timing belt loop is shot, and you're likely looking at a big expense (1K+) to fix the bent valves, new head gasket, and timing belt components).

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      I think you're saying the engine is turning over (cranking), but the timing belt is not moving. If that's correct, then something in the timing belt loop is shot, and you're likely looking at a big expense (1K+) to fix the bent valves, new head gasket, and timing belt components).
      OK thanks for the help. Yeah that's what I meant. I didn't know if it was still technically cranking if the belt wasn't moving.

Is it possible to drive a short distance after fixing just the timing belt and ignoring any valve and head gasket damage? I think I'd rather just sell/trade it than spend that much on it.

Also out of curiosity, is braking a typical time for the timing belt to break? And is cranking the engine damaging to the engine with the broken timing belt?

Thanks
      ...Is it possible to drive a short distance after fixing just the timing belt and ignoring any valve and head gasket damage?....
      Some valves are almost certainly bent, so it highly unlikely to even start up, much less run. And just as an FYI, the head gasket doesn't get damaged, but needs to be replaced anyway due to the head being pulled.

... Also out of curiosity, is braking a typical time for the timing belt to break? ...
      Timing belt issue is a completely random event

... And is cranking the engine damaging to the engine with the broken timing belt? ...
      Everything is thrashing around inside of the engine, so it would be best to not crank it any more. But that said, the bulk of the damage happened in the first couple of seconds after the belt issue occurred.

It may be possible for you to find a shop that will install a salvage Aveo engine for less than 1K. Probably worth a few phone calls to see what a quote for an engine would be in your local area