•  

Thread: A/C Problem (2011 Chevy Aveo5)

Hey
      What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Question A/C Problem (2011 Chevy Aveo5)

A couple of weeks ago, I installed a brand-new compressor. A vacuum was done, and there were no leaks. A recharge was done, and I had cold air for two weeks. A few days ago, once home and parked, I restarted the vehicle to park somewhere else, and there was no A/C. I noticed the green a/c button inside, and the two other buttons next to it will not turn on. Are these buttons the problem? Has anyone else encountered this issue? What could the problem be?

Thanks
      Did you check if the compressor is engaging when you press the button?
      Aveo T200 1.6 E-TEC II Manual transmission

Hey
      Thanks
      The compressor does not engage when I press the button. Keep in mind that I have checked the pressure reading, and it is holding. I have also looked around for any signs of leaks, and nothing. I don't smell any freon in the cabin, either, so the condenser evaporator should be okay. I found the high-pressure switch. Do you, by chance, know where the low-pressure switch would be located?

Thanks
      Why do you suspect the low pressure switch? This seems to be an electrical problem, since the compressor is not engaging. I would start checking from the compressor to the cabin. Check if you can give power to the compressor bypassing the fuse, and check from there backwards. From what you mention, I believe there should be a problem with the button in the cabin itself, but I would definitely check everything electrical, from the compressor all the way to the cabin.

Hey
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
      Why do you suspect the low pressure switch? This seems to be an electrical problem, since the compressor is not engaging. I would start checking from the compressor to the cabin. Check if you can give power to the compressor bypassing the fuse, and check from there backwards. From what you mention, I believe there should be a problem with the button in the cabin itself, but I would definitely check everything electrical, from the compressor all the way to the cabin.
      Okay, so today, I swapped fuses in the engine bay. The compressor does not turn on. I double-checked the R-134 pressure, and all is well. However, I did place a paperclip in the AC fuse, and the compressor engaged. There was cold air coming out of the cabin. So yes, it may be the buttons themselves (AC, cabin air, and defrost buttons). These buttons aren't working. I searched on the forum here and found someone with the very same problem years ago. A solution for him was to add r-134. Of course, that wouldn't have worked since he stated the button itself (AC button) was not turning on, and neither were the other two next to it. Are there any fuses for these buttons? If so, where and what ones? Also, would it be ok to have my compressor running like this for now since it's so hot?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Hey View Post
      Okay, so today, I swapped fuses in the engine bay. The compressor does not turn on. I double-checked the R-134 pressure, and all is well. However, I did place a paperclip in the AC fuse, and the compressor engaged. There was cold air coming out of the cabin. So yes, it may be the buttons themselves (AC, cabin air, and defrost buttons). These buttons aren't working. I searched on the forum here and found someone with the very same problem years ago. A solution for him was to add r-134. Of course, that wouldn't have worked since he stated the button itself (AC button) was not turning on, and neither were the other two next to it. Are there any fuses for these buttons? If so, where and what ones? Also, would it be ok to have my compressor running like this for now since it's so hot?
      I don't think I follow. You bypassed the fuse and it worked? Shouldn't that mean the culprit is the fuse? If the AC buttons have a fuse (unlikely) it would be in the cabin, in the left. There is a fuse box when you open the driver's door. Check there and there should be a sticker saying if there is a fuse for those buttons.