•  

Thread: Check engine light after 3 engine stalls (teaching someone to drive stick)

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Check engine light after 3 engine stalls (teaching someone to drive stick)

Hello:

I am new here and I just bought a used 2006 Aveo Hatchback base model, 5 speed. The car has 120,000 miles and was really well kept and maintained by the previous owner (have service records). It just passed DEQ 2 months ago and when we bought it, it had no CEL on.

I was teaching my friend how to drive stick and he stalled it a couple of times, the last time the car was lurching pretty bad and then it had a slightly rough idle for a second. The CEL came on and we turned the car off. After which, the car started up fine and I drove it around and it ran perfect still.

We ran the codes at autozone and this is what they were

P2135 Throttle Position Sensor 1-2 Correlation Error
      P2104 Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Froced Engine Idle
      P2110 Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Forced Limited Engine Speed
      P0606 Control Module Internal Performance

The autozone tech said the stalling could have caused the codes to appear and that the CEL might go off as the car is driven normally again. We drove it around for about an hour after this and started and stopped it at a few places but the CEL is still on.

Is there need for concern here? I am curious because when I learned stick I stalled the car way more than 2-3 times and I never experienced any actual damage to the car. Secondly, we just bought the car used so we are concerned this might have been a pre-existing issue that actually needs to be fixed (i.e. replacing the throttle body.)

Thank you in advance for your help!

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Years ago both of my daughters learned stick on my '05, with no side effects happening to the Aveo. However, your '06 is drive by wire, so the area pointed to by the codes is not exactly the same. I doubt the codes are related to the stalling, but also can't say it's impossible either. Disconnect both battery leads and touch them together. That will clear the ECU, remove the codes, and answer the question.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      This all looks like pedal timing issues.. BUT if it doesn't go away she might have washed a sensor or something.

(IF the car thinks it should be running, and you stall but also floor it, you can confuse the computer).