•  

Thread: Electrical Issue, Help Needed

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Electrical Issue, Help Needed

Hello all, I bought a used 2007 Aveo a few months back and have been slowly starting to experience different issues. I've slowly been doing a tune-up since I bought it, trying to do what I can with each paycheck, and have hit a roadblock. So far, I've swapped out oil/oil filter, spark plugs & wires, radiator flush and new upper/lower radiator hoses. Now I'm getting an electrical issue after getting off of work last night at 1 am in the rain..

Car started fine, but when I go to put it in reverse the shifter locks up in park, headlights go out, dash lights and gauges go out, interior light, and can't turn the key to full off position to remove it without disconnecting the battery cable. I can disengage the shift lock and am able to drive it fine, but without any gauges or lights like mentioned. Tried taking it to Autozone & Oreillys to have them run a diagnostic but their computers won't register that they are connected to the cpu in my aveo.

I've gone through all the fuses, one of them was blown (H/L Low LH) which I replaced. No change was noticed until you turn on the headlights, in which case the dash lights come on as well as the right headlight (looking at the car from the front), and I am able to shift the car out of park. If the headlights are off, then all the previous issues are present.

My mechanical knowledge is limited, I'm self taught for the most part, and just minor things so any electrical problem is beyond me.. Won't have the money to take it to a shop until after I get paid this weekend, nor the time to be without a car as I work two jobs and am a college student. Until I can get the issue taken care of I'll probably have to end up driving it during the day and using Uber for my evening class this week unless I can figure this **** out.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      One fairly common problem, which fits the symptoms you described, is for the splicer in the fuse box to become burnt, leading to poor/erratic electrical connections.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I agree it sounds like the fuse box under the hood.