•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gates belt or other?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Gates belt or other?

I found a Gates timing belt on Rock Auto for $21.99 (will cost $50 total to have it shipped), that's just the timing belt

on another site I found the "timing belt kit" for $100 , it was some other brand..contitech or something, never heard of it.

What's the best brand to go with for timing belt?
      also, if I should change water pump at the same time, any particular brand I should look out for?

Thanks!!

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Gates belt or other?

Do a search

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AveoRob
      Do a search
      Yeah, thanks that was very helpful. lol.

I did search, that's why I posted this thread to find out other Aveo owner experiences. I have read a number of threads where people stand by the Gates brand, but I personally don't have any experience with them or Contitech.

Basically I want to make a sound choice since this is such an important part. I have done a fair bit of mileage on the original one, and want a replacement that's at least as good.

Say, have you ever changed your timing belt? If so ... what'd you go with and how'd it go?

Thanks

The reason why I said do a search is that the Aveo timing belt is a topic that has been BEAT TO DEATH. There are tons of threads on the topic. and things haven't changed much. I think the Aveo got a really bad rap on the TB because of a bad batch in the earlier models, like 2004-2006. Many broke at or near the 60K replacement interval. Gates and conti-tech and both good quality belts and probably won't make a bit of difference, especially is you adhere to the 60K interval. Yes, I had my belt done at 60K, by the dealer, so whatever belt they used. I have posted this before, but I did not do the pump as the dealer recommended. Job was 300 bcks, just for belt change. I posted my rationale on this in another thread somewhere.

Thanks

I can help. I was where you are last year.

I bought both belts. I bought that contitech kit, and then I found a deal from someone selling there Aveo, and I got a Gates belt.

-I'm sure they both will do the same thing and last just as long as eachother, but if look and feel have anything to do with quality, then the Contitech belt is the winner.

I was skeptical with contitech. I always scoffed at the 'continental' brand tires, because the name made me think they'd only be good at dorky tires for big floaty boat cars.

But after seeing that they are a very big and modern rubber company, I was willing to give them a chance.

Upon receiving the belt, and comparing to side by side to the gates belt, it seems to have been made with a bit more uality in mind than the gates belt. Thicker rubber. and a better feel to the rubber if that means anything.

Mines been on for 10k miles now. Hoping for it to last to 120k. Knock on wood.

Thanks

on my 04 i'm changing my tomorrow, i got the belt from NAPA and it was like $50 u.s. and i also bought the DOHC locking tool too for like $30.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monzaveo
      I can help. I was where you are last year.

I bought both belts. I bought that contitech kit, and then I found a deal from someone selling there Aveo, and I got a Gates belt.

-I'm sure they both will do the same thing and last just as long as eachother, but if look and feel have anything to do with quality, then the Contitech belt is the winner.

I was skeptical with contitech. I always scoffed at the 'continental' brand tires, because the name made me think they'd only be good at dorky tires for big floaty boat cars.

But after seeing that they are a very big and modern rubber company, I was willing to give them a chance.

Upon receiving the belt, and comparing to side by side to the gates belt, it seems to have been made with a bit more uality in mind than the gates belt. Thicker rubber. and a better feel to the rubber if that means anything.

Mines been on for 10k miles now. Hoping for it to last to 120k. Knock on wood.
      Interesting. Thanks for the input. Do you have two Aveos, one with each belt - or you have one Aveo, and you happened to get the second belt off another Aveo?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by screech985
      on my 04 i'm changing my tomorrow, i got the belt from NAPA and it was like $50 u.s. and i also bought the DOHC locking tool too for like $30.
      cool, let us know how everything goes

Thanks

Ok its finally over i changed the timing belt and it was a little harder than everyone made it seem but i got it done. on my 04 aveo is automatic so i had trouble with the harmonic balance but we borrowed a impact wrench and it came off without a hitch. i ended up not buying the DOHC lock Tool, i fabricated one myself with some angle iron and it worked great. the main thing i had trouble with was getting the new timing belt over the tension pulley. for future reference is there a special tool that you need to compress that pulley. other than that the belt is on and the car runs great couldn't be happier and saved a butt load of money.

Thanks

Did you take any pics of the tool you made or the tensioner so you could explain how you did it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast